Website
holidaves.com
I put all my $$ into the paint job :D, not the engine
That was scanned in from a pic (dirty), paint was clean

I painted the flag one drunken Saturday, finished about 2am
Big square taped off & painted red
Then you tape off a big X & paint the white
Then create the stars & stripes along the X & paint blue
So at the end you can't tell what it looks like until it dries & you start peeling everything off

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't know if that Cobra would have enough oomph for me. Remember, I often travel with my wife and some shopping.

And where I live is quite hilly. It looks like it might stall out trying to get up the hills.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't know if that Cobra would have enough oomph for me. Remember, I often travel with my wife and some shopping.

And where I live is quite hilly. It looks like it might stall out trying to get up the hills.

More than enough oomph for you, your wife and a cat or two. It'll only stall going up a hill if you drive it like an MG. ;) Haven't you figured it out Ian? The real american dream is a V8 powered sports car, not plumbing....unless you plumb a custom twin turbo intake. :D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Matt, V8 muscle cars are fine for the young family with a baby.

But for mature families with two kids, 600hp is just not going to cut it on the school run. School books and lunches all add weight and that Cobra would struggle, especially on some of the shorter interstate ramps.

I can see it now. You're in the Cobra. It's rush hour. You're on the ramp. Put your put to the floor to get up to Interstate speed and whack. Rear-ended. That 600hp could just not deliver.

For a family car, I prefer something like a German-made Bugatti Veyron. It's a modest car, nothing too special with the 8.0 litre W16 engine I have come to like in mid-size saloons like this. It generates about 1000 horsepower, which is really what you need come winter in the snowy North East.

55849713_DKxDy-M-1.jpg

But you can make a Mustang into a family car.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Oh a Bugatti is indeed a fine car, but it does nothing for the American experience. A Bugatti needs to be able to wind out it's gears on the german roads, very few US roads could do a car like that justice. I'm pretty sure UK roads couldn't do it justice either.

Interesting read regarding the Veyron:
But buying a Bugatti Veyron is a lot more tricky than you would imagine. To get your name down on the list, you have to pop down a £200,000 deposit, and sign a contract. The contract´s fine print contains quite a lot of interesting tidbits, including the fact that the whole deposit is non-refundable. So there will be no changing your mind, then.

DIY servicing? Nope.
Even after you would take delivery of the vehicle, you can´t do whatever you want with it - the contract has a series of rather strict rules in them: For one thing, you have to agree to let Bugatti do all the servicing and repairs. Which means that either do engineers have to fly in from France, or you could, of course, drop the car off at the factory yourself: There will be no tinkering around with the engine on a lazy sunday afternoon then.

Mind you, a simple oil change takes 42 litres of oil (yes, the oil sump takes as much oil as the volume of fuel an average family saloon stores in its petrol tank), so you may not want to do any of that in the first place. Of course, if your car needs a new clutch, you would be rather upset if you happen to live in Rio de Janeiro, and have to ship your car 5700 miles - practically to the other end of the world. But such is life of a supercar owner.

And when you are sick of it...
In a few years, when you are tired of the most powerful production car the world has ever seen, you may wish to sell it. And if you do, you are - once again - out of luck: Bugatti have a clause in their contract which means they have to approve of the buyer before the car is sold. If they don´t like them, Bugatti reserves the right to buy the car back themselves, as they do not wish to ´delude the reputation of the brand´. In other words: they don´t want a lot of **** stars, drug dealers and bling-toting gangster-rappers cruising around in their cars.

Poor drug dealers. I guess they are stuck with the BMW M5s, Koenigsegg CCs and McLaren F1s of the world, then.

113_79878_Large_Rod_Test+2003_Mustang_Cobra+Rear_Burnout_View.jpg

This is the American dream. :D

Dorrough

Reaction score
Backing up

Well, I don't have a Mustang, but can offer some backup advice. Unless you just enjoy doing it, don't try to do RAID at home. RAID is great for business data centers and network file servers, where you can't tolerate any downtime. The advantage of a RAID array is that the system can tolerate the complete failure of any of the drives by reconstructing data on the fly, and keep running while you "hot swap" the bad drive - the enclosure is made so that you can pull the old drive out, plug the new one in, never have to shut down, and then the software will rebuild the data on the new drive. Works great - but it is complex. For home use, I would never do it. I have an external hard drive that is about three times as big as my laptop drive. I back everything up to it: operating system and all, so that if I had to I could boot off that drive and have all my data there. It backs up every night. Then I use the rest of the space for iTunes files, photos (which are also copied to CD or DVD), whatever. If there is a fire, I can grab that drive on my way out of the house. And it's dead simple: the simpler the process, the more likely I am to do it.

On a side note: you can download (for very much FREE, although it is nice to donate) a program suite called OpenOffice. This is an open-source product that gives you a spreadsheet program, a word processor, and a presentation tool, much like that expensive one which comes from Redmond. I have the real MS Office on my system, but for anyone who can't shell out the big bucks, or needs something in an emergency, OpenOffice can open, read, and save MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files. Did I mention it's free?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks