(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Catastrophic Failure

Hybrid View

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Default Catastrophic Failure

Had my hard drive take a dump on me this afternoon, I really hope I can recover my data. After I rebuilt my machine about 6 months ago I pulled everything off of my external backup so I could reorganize stuff - never got around to it.

In the course of getting things straightened out I somehow managed to fry the power supply - I mean I actually fried it; sizzle, puff of smoke and a smell that the wife shortly started to yell at me about.

Also realized my wife accidentally threw my debit card out. Hasn't been a good day.

Let this be a reminder for all of you - back your stuff up!!!
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Ah, sorry to hear about all of that, tomorrow will be better.

Eh, I've got some work to do this weekend so tomorrow won't really be better. I've got to either recover my cad or borrow the bosses cad for a job that is supposed to be done on Monday. Right now I don't have word or excel either which I need.
    Matt

Too bad, but at least you are making me ( and I think others) too, smile with that avatar, I love that one. It is just too funny. Right now, it makes me want a glass of OJ.

Just remember, somewhere an orange gave up it's short life for that glass of OJ.
    Matt

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I'm backing up mine as we speak....for the first time in 2 years.

I hate doing backups. I have at least 40 gig to put over and it takes so long.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    ... sizzle, puff of smoke .....!!!

It is not well known that all electronic devices are built with a smoke chamber locked inside. If you do something which unlocks the chamber and allows the smoke to escape, the device can no longer function.

For a couple of years, I have subscribed to Carbonite, on line backup. It works continuously in the background, and has saved my butt once already.

Default Backing up

Well, I don't have a Mustang, but can offer some backup advice. Unless you just enjoy doing it, don't try to do RAID at home. RAID is great for business data centers and network file servers, where you can't tolerate any downtime. The advantage of a RAID array is that the system can tolerate the complete failure of any of the drives by reconstructing data on the fly, and keep running while you "hot swap" the bad drive - the enclosure is made so that you can pull the old drive out, plug the new one in, never have to shut down, and then the software will rebuild the data on the new drive. Works great - but it is complex. For home use, I would never do it. I have an external hard drive that is about three times as big as my laptop drive. I back everything up to it: operating system and all, so that if I had to I could boot off that drive and have all my data there. It backs up every night. Then I use the rest of the space for iTunes files, photos (which are also copied to CD or DVD), whatever. If there is a fire, I can grab that drive on my way out of the house. And it's dead simple: the simpler the process, the more likely I am to do it.

On a side note: you can download (for very much FREE, although it is nice to donate) a program suite called OpenOffice. This is an open-source product that gives you a spreadsheet program, a word processor, and a presentation tool, much like that expensive one which comes from Redmond. I have the real MS Office on my system, but for anyone who can't shell out the big bucks, or needs something in an emergency, OpenOffice can open, read, and save MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files. Did I mention it's free?