Installing 2 wax rings

Users who are viewing this thread

jrkonneker

Reaction score
I have a toilet base leak.

The flange is installed level with the floor.

When I removed the toilet, the entire wax ring stayed with the flange and left no wax on the bottom of the toilet at all. I assume this means that I should install 2 wax rings to obtain enough compression for a good seal.

If I install 2 rings, 1 with the rubber funnel and the other without, what order should they be installed? The ring without the funnel against the toilet base and the ring with the funnel on top of it so it is in the pipe?

Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, never use those rings with the built-in funnel. They cause more trouble than they work. Whoever installed the toilet didn't do you any favors. If you can't feel the wax squish when you set the toilet, it won't seal. Just use either a jumbo wax ring, or stack two regular ones together, then set the toilet. If you ever remodel, move the flange where it is supposed to be. An alternative to that is to add an extension ring to the one you have, then you'd use a standard wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks