Cutoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Slicknickel

Reaction score
I have a leaky Delta kitchen faucet that can repack and repair. However, the hot or cold cutoff valve will not fully shut off the water flow. I can work around this to repair the leak in the faucet's valve body, but I don't like the idea that the cutoffs are not functioning properly.

The house is 10 years old and the cutoffs are simple (probably cheap) T-angle valves. Can they be repacked, or will I have to replace them someday?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's easier to replace them. This was the first plumbing job I ever did myself.

However, if these leak then I bet your main shut-off valve (for the whole house) does too. If it does, get a plumber to fit a new one (a ball valve) and then play with all your angle stops to your heart's content.

Quarter turn angle stops are the best ones.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
It's easier to replace them. This was the first plumbing job I ever did myself.

However, if these leak then I bet your main shut-off valve (for the whole house) does too. If it does, get a plumber to fit a new one (a ball valve) and then play with all your angle stops to your heart's content.

Quarter turn angle stops are the best ones.

Be careful with the main valve. I replaced a kitchen for my mother when I was in HS. Got everything done, turned the water back on and nothing, no water. Turned off the main and replaced the valves, turned the main back on and nothing, no water - except it was the whole house this time. Ended up turning off the pump, gutting the valve and getting water back on. Was years before that valve was fixed properly.

Slicknickel

Reaction score
Thanks

The household main valve was replaced, by a pro, a few years ago.

Yes, I guess I could replace those cutoffs, but a gymnast is required to squirm underneath the cabinet. I thought a repack would save my back a little.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
You can try snugging the bonnet nuts on the shut offs.

If that don't werk, get a sleeve puller and yank those things.
Get quarter turn valve, dey's betta.

angle_stop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
squirm underneath the cabinet

I'm over 250 pounds and I still got under mine.

Take your time, wear one of those LED lights you strap to your head and lay down with your head in the cupboard. You'll get there in the end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks