Kohler Valvet (I think) conundrum

Users who are viewing this thread

jim baird

Reaction score
Bought new stem kit for lever type Kohler bath sink. Stem threads are right hand for cold and left for hot.

A vendor website told me that threads are normally opposite, except for some models like Kohler Valvet.

This set has a threaded stem/with plunger also threaded. Washer is on bottom of plunger, and seals against a seat inside a brass insert with holes in it.

It is difficult to assemble with the stem in a certain position and then get it all locked down with the big overall nut.

Vendor told me to be sure it is open when I insert it, but I can't see what open actually means.

jim baird

Reaction score
OK,

How about reversing the handle turn direction?

LMAO.

Still, the replacement stem doesn't fit the "broaching" on the end fully, but that's not enough to send me back to the parts house.

Least fun was to figure out that my most final tightening of the big cap nut is what it took to get full shutoff.

As a side note, the damn ancient cutoffs on the riser are just barely doing their job, and the one on hot side almost completely quit on me this Friday PM.

Did I mention what joy I find in plumbing work?

Ciao.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Valvet

ONe problem you will find with installing the hot or removing the cold, is that you have to hold the stem or it will try to shut off and jam the mechanism. You tighten it almost all the way, position the handle, you have to either open the hot or close the cold AND HOLD ON TO IT, while you tighten it the rest of the way, or it will turn a little further and mess up your positioning..

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are working on a shower valve then make sure the stem doesn't open while you are tightening it. If it binds and you try and force the threads you will strip the threads on the valve body and ruin the entire valve.

jim baird

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have enough street smarts to know about holding the stem while tightening down the big cap nut, but that did not make it any easier to do.

One's fingers get in each other's way, and the o-ring grip on the stem offers plenty resistance.

What I did not like was that I could not get a non-dripping situation by finger turns only...that is I had to wrench the cap nut down to get the thing to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks