New Dishwasher Plumbing Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ChevSilverado001

Reaction score
I am installing a new dishwasher where there wasn't one previously. As you can see in the attached pictures, there doesn't seem to be enough room to purchase a dishwasher type tailpiece and incorporate it into the existing plumbing before the trap. The dishwasher will be installed to the right of the sink. I only see two options. Add some plumbing with another cleanout and trap where the cleanout is under the sink, or do the same where the cleanout is in my basement which is actually very close to where the dishwasher will be installed. The plumbing running up through the floor is the plumbing drain for the kitchen sink which will be adjacent to the new dishwasher. Does anybody know if either of these options will work? Do you have any better ideas? If I do what I'm planning on, I was going to run 2" ABS from one of the cleanouts, add another cleanout, install a trap, and run a vertical open ended 2" ABS to approximately 3/4's of the height under cabinet and run dishwasher drain tube down into 2" ABS. Please let me know your ideas or if my idea will work and is a correct way to do it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,140
  • test1.JPG
    test1.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • test2.JPG
    test2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,052

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All so wrong! You have an "S" trap, which is not code, and is not necessary. Unless an inspector made a big deal out of having a cleanout, which is unlikely since the S trap is still there, you should get rid of that wye and run the trap arm straight into the wall at that point. This will give you the vertical height you need for a dishwasher wye.

Trying to do what you suggest would probably leave the dishwasher drain not vented, based on your description.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Pretty much what Jimbo said.

That S trap is terrible. Cleanout not needed for a sink/dishwasher especially.
The vertical drop should be on the sink side of the trap, allowing you room to put the dishwasher wye in. Blah blah

Good luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I would be interested in seeing what is behind the cabinet's wall, because that "drain" is lower than a plumber would normally install it, but given what you are working with, that drain assembly has to be removed and a proper "P" trap installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks