Dry Well ?

Users who are viewing this thread

42skidoo

Reaction score
Big suprise today, no water in my pit well. Thought maybe it was my old pressure tank, ie., bladder less model. No problems there. Pulled out the pipe and inspected the foot valve. Very dirty, black slime. Removed and cleaned. Put back down in casing, ran the jet pump and water came out for about 30 secs, then nothing. Water was black, lot's of grit. This well has always been good, never lack of water issues. I'm hoping it's something else. Am I missing something?

42skidoo

Reaction score
Spent all day in the well today. Removed the pump and disassebled. Seperated the impeller from the motor. There was a very small piece of plastic broken. I didnt think it was enough to cause the pump to run dry. Just to make sure and rule out the pump I installed a new one. Pump is working and lot's of water! The 110v pump I installed though at 1/2 hp is just not the same as my GE pump. Will need to see if something else exists at 110v.

PS: well is 34 feet.

42skidoo

Reaction score
I'm looking around for a new shallow well pump now. Given the importance water plays I'm going to buy the best available. The old pump I had was a Myers 1/2 HP 3450 RPM 110V. Good pump probably has been down there for 10 plus years. I'm looking at the Grundfos and Burcam shallow well pumps. Was wondering about a device I saw on a pump.

Here is the ad:

Burcam Stainless Steel 3/4 HP Jet Shallow Fluomac
Mounted with a pressure regulator. Electronic system eliminates the need for the tank and pressure switch to start and stop pump. System regulates and controls the delivery of the water. Portable, compact, easy to use and store in winter time.

No pressure tank required? What is this all about?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, the companies that sell em. :D

There was a time when I thought they might be a good alternative for an irrigation pump but when you get down to cost, it's more economical to install a regular pump with either a small tank or a csv and a small tank.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Use a tank and forget constant pressure pumps!

Look into using a Cycle Stop Valve and a small tank or a "Pside-Kick with your new pump. Forget using an electronic operated pressure regulator.

Porky

42skidoo

Reaction score
Ok so this is a CP system, wasnt sure. Thought maybe new technology rather than mechanical pressure switch this uses electronics. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks