Monoflow Hot Water System - can I use to cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

BigFatSucka

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came across this site for the first time - very good stuff on here. Obviously 1st-time poster, but I will definitely be posting here a lot in the future. Here's my issue:

I have a furnace from the mid-1930s that burns off of oil. I live in NJ, and they are offering all sorts of rebates/incentives for folks who improve the efficiency of their house. I'm working with an energy-conscious contractor and he is very good. So the original plan was to abandon the oil tank, switch to gas, and install a super-heater (will try and get model # later tonight) that will supply the heat for the monoflow system in our house. The total cost of oil tank abandonment: 2100, and then furnace removal, installation and cost of new unit, as well as some insulation work in the attic is around 8400. I'm getting half of that rebated from the state, so long story short its about 10k worth of work for 5k, and my overall monthly costs will drop dramatically.

That's all well and good, but that only solves my heating problem. I want to also solve the fact that we need window A/C's to cool in the summertime, and my wife an I are both opposed to both multi-split units and systems that involve duct work.

If I installed a geothermal well system in my backyard, could I use the monoflow system currently used for heating-only, to cool my house in the summer time? How would this affect my need for hot water (showers/sinks)?

The costs of the geothermal system are less-appealing, but it seems much more efficient in the long-term and if it can cool my house as well, it makes the whole concept much sexier.

Any information/thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated, or alternative solutions are also very welcome.

Thanks
BFS

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think cold glass of iced tea on a hot, humid summer. Using chilled water in the radiators would have them dripping moisture all over the floor and still not provide good cooling...you need either a split system, or ducts. Now, you may be able to use a high velocity system which uses small outlets into the ceiling or high on the walls...these are much smaller than a 6" recessed light, and can almost disappear if done well (depending on the ceilings). Cold air at your feet is uncomfortable, and radiators only work well providing heat, which rises and causes circulation. Introducing dense, cold air down low does little to promote circulation of the air, so you'd end up with cold feet and a hot head.

If you want to get rid of the window a/c units, you need something with fans and outlets high enough to generate some circulation and equally as important, a way to drain away the condensate from the chilling process that removes the moisture from the air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks