Re-piping the main loop of a cast-iron radiator system

Users who are viewing this thread

jmk823

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a monoflow radiator system that heats a basement and two above-ground floors. There are a total of 14 radiators. The system gets the house nice and toasty in the winter.

The only problem I have is that the main loop in the basement is loooow. The basement ceiling is about 7' but the loop hangs down 14" from the ceiling. It is also set in about four feet from any wall. This makes finishing the basement pointless. I'm a tall guy, I need head clearance!

I want to raise the main loop up as close to the ceiling as possible and push it out towards the walls. Right now the system uses iron pipe.

I've gotten estimates from a few plumbers and they all said the same thing - they'll replace the iron pipe in the main loop with 1" copper and connect the main loop to the existing runs to the individual radiators.

After speaking to the pros this SEEMS like it would be a pretty straightforward project - simply copy the existing main loop layout. Same placement of the monoflow tees, same positioning, direction, etc. Only difference is that it will be 14" higher and closer to the walls.

Before hiring a pro I'd like to try my hand and doing some a section of this myself. I figure if I am going to be replacing it all anyway it can't hurt to try.

Are there any potential kinks that I am not considering? Is the job more complicated than it sounds? Is the risk of death higher than zero?:)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
For the system to work you have to raise the hole loop. If you just raise part of it you will not be able to get all the air out of the system. Keep in mind that all lines should pitch up to your radiators, any traps in the line will hold air and not allow the water to circulate. Be sure to install the copper tees in the same location as the existing tees. It's been a long time since I installed a system like this. If my memory serves me right the tees must be more then 18" apart and no closer then 18" from a change of direction in the main. Also keep in mind that the monoflow tees are directional. There are arrows in the tees that must point in the direction of flow.

John

Last edited:

jmk823

Reaction score
John -

Thanks for the tip about the air getting trapped. I hadn't thought of that. That certainly makes me reconsider my plan for doing this project piecemeal.

As far as placement of the tees the current system has many, many tees placed close together (8" or less). In one area in particular there are four tees within a two foot section.

If doing this project myself the plan was to just copy the existing placement of tees. Currently the system gets the house warm, so I didn't even think that the tee placement might be problematic.

Is this something I should worry about or should I leave well enough alone?

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
If it's working ok then place the tees in the same location that they are now in.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

If the system uses two MonoFlo tees for each radiator the placement is not as critical as if you only had one. The reason for the spacing requirement is that the resistance between the two tees HAS to be close to the resistance of the loop to the radiator, or the water will flow straight through and only a portion will be diverted to the radiator.

jmk823

Reaction score
If the system uses two MonoFlo tees for each radiator the placement is not as critical as if you only had one. The reason for the spacing requirement is that the resistance between the two tees HAS to be close to the resistance of the loop to the radiator, or the water will flow straight through and only a portion will be diverted to the radiator.

I spent some time looking over my system this weekend and I noticed that each radiator only uses a single monoflow tee. Upstream is a standard tee (as far as I can tell from an outside inspection), downstream is a monoflo.

If I was redoing the system in copper I imagine this would still be the model I should follow.

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
I spent some time looking over my system this weekend and I noticed that each radiator only uses a single monoflow tee. Upstream is a standard tee (as far as I can tell from an outside inspection), downstream is a monoflo.

If I was redoing the system in copper I imagine this would still be the model I should follow.

The way to pipe the system is with one monoflow tee on the radiators above the main and two for the ones below.

John

jmk823

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. After considering all the associated costs I realized the cost for materials alone would be considerable.

I brought in a highly reccomended plumber who specializes in this kind of work in my kind of house (ie: old). He reccomended using PEX and a three-manifold system. I like this idea - it completely opens up my basement ceiling. It will also only set me back a little over $4k and be done in a week. Once I take into account how much I would spend myself on materials and time doing the work, this seems like a steal of a price.

I've heard lots of praise for PEX and a few negative things here and there. It seems especially well suited for this type of project. Any thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks