(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Mixing Valve for Garage

Default Mixing Valve for Garage

Not sure if such a beast exists, but I would like to run 1/2 pipe to the garage. Seperate hot and cold Feed on the *inlet* side of things. On the outlet side, it would be a single outlet

The knob would be a single control valve --- similar to how a shower mixing knob would be -- if no a single handled kitchen faucet.

Does something like this exist....and what would this ~piece~ be called.

Basically, instead of just ~cold~ water as a source, I would love to be able to have both HOT and warm water....from the hose.

TIA

Depending on how cold your winters get and how far you have to pipe the water, you may suffer a huge loss of hot water. You might want to consider a small water heater for the garage. In either case, you will have to keep some heat in the garage during the winter. I have a similar situation, and I keep my shop furnace at 55 which is the lowest it will go, during the winter. It's easy to bring it up to comfortable temperature when I want to work out there, and it sure is nice to have a reasonably warm car on icy mornings. Garage is well insulated, but there is obviously some expense involved. I have a NG overhead furnace.

Thanks Gary. I will keep the water heater in mind.

Does such a *wall mounted outlet/mixure control exist*.

Basically instead of a cold tap coming out of my hose, I want to be able to do everything from cold to hot......

If yer wondering why, I have a terrible auto detailing hobby/obsession that is borderline OCD. And warm/hot water does get the car cleaner....even in the summer, as oils, etc do tend to clean better with warm water.

Once I get this water source setup, I'll start thinking about the inground drain

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There is a hose bib that adjusts to give you anything from cold to hot water. Obviously, you need to run both hot and cold to it, but it has one handle, and one hose connection.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Why not just use a regular utility faucet/basin combination (esp. if you are planning a drain later?) I have a faucet with hose connection for the basin in my attached garage. It's what I use when I wash the vehicles. Can't say as I've been using the hot water mix, just the cold tap, but there is no reason I couldn't use it.

If your garage is attached then the piping run shouldn't be too bad and if it is through a shared wall freezing shouldn't be a major concern. If you have a stretch that you are concerned about then some thermostatically controlled heat tape should do the trick.

I don't intend to have a utility sink/basin in there due to footprint. Was looking for some sort of water bib/control that would be mounted on the wall .

What do you guys think of this...

http://www.************.com/price-pf...faucet/p689353

I think the Moen is the winner....

http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/pr...sillfaucet.cfm

I guess 2 ball valves, some pipework , would acheive the same function.
    Last edited by chefwong; 09-28-2009 at 10:29 PM.

I installed that moen faucet and the customer was very disapointed. It will not allow 100% hot water. I dont know the exact mix ratio but if you turn it all the way up you get about 90* water temp. I called the moen rep and he said they were working on a new one with a higher temp but i dont know if that has happend yet. The install was about a year ago.

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech

Just picked up one of these Moen units this week. Don't think I'll get to install it this weekend, but hope to by next. Will post an update then.