Help! Leaking resin tank

Users who are viewing this thread

acrod

Reaction score
I just found this website so thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here as I am at my wits end. I have a dual tank water softener and recently one of my tanks has started leaking at the junction of the threaded tank collar and where the valve sits on the tank. I've checked numerous times there is no water leaking from the tank itself or where the collar meets the tank but right where the valve sits. As soon as I put it into service and the pressure builds in the tank it starts too leak. water softener itself works fine as far as I can tell. I took the valve off and checked the large o-ring where the valve sits on the collar and its pliable soft, no cracks and maintains its shape. I have even tried wrapping the thread with thread seal tape with no luck. I am a newbie home owner and don't know much about plumbing, but I am pretty mechanically inclined so I am trying my hardest not to call someone in and charge me just to look at it. Any ideas or advice on where and why the leak is happening? Thanks again in advance for any help. Here is a pic, its leaking right at the top where the white collar meets black valve seat.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 5,858

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The white tank neck could have a crack in it that opens up when the valve is screwed into it.

The tank liner could have a crack in it and the water is lightly spraying up just at the top of the fiberglass that wraps around the neck.

Either way the tank is leaking and depending on how old it is, and if the softener is not a big box type, it could be under warranty; most tanks have a 5 year warranty. So call whoever you bought the softener from if it is within the last 5 years. CORRECTION, that should be 10 years.

Otherwise you need to buy the same size and probably brand of tank since it is a twin tank softener. There is a label on the tank somewhere that will give you the manufacturer's name and the model number is the size; like 1054 is a 10" x 54" meaning you have a 1.5 cuft tank. I sell tanks.

Last edited:

acrod

Reaction score
well I feel stupid even mentioning it but I got duped and bought it from aquativa which is now bankrupt and not honoring any of their products. I already had the prefilter burst earlier this year flooding my garage, and I could never get the company to pay for it. So trying to get them to replace the tank now would be like pulling teeth. I think the valve is a rebranded fleck twinflo. I have never moved it or disassembled it before it started leaking. Bought new in 07, and the threads are clear. I am not too sure what you mean by if its coming from the remote tank or valved tank, but it leaks out between the valve and thread collar, not anywhere from the tank itself. I did not install it, the company had a contracted plumber do the work and I assuming/hoping he did install the valve and rings properly with lube and the like. Would there be any way to tell if there is a crack in the tank, and if so and I have to buy a new one how much do they run? Resin is relatively new(2yrs old) can I reuse it. from taking it apart 5 times now it seems pretty simple. thanks, and sorry for the long reply.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Would there be any way to tell if there is a crack in the tank, and if so and I have to buy a new one how much do they run? Resin is relatively new(2yrs old) can I reuse it. from taking it apart 5 times now it seems pretty simple. thanks, and sorry for the long reply.

You may be able to see a very small crack by removing the tank and examining it with a good magnifying glass. Use a similar technique to check the connector that screws into the tank.

Tanks are readily available online. Price varies with supplier and size but if you shop around you can probably get one for 100+ to 200 delivered. Resin can reused so long as it is good and based on your post there is no reason to think it isn't. However, the information on the web about the unit suggests it may have a mixed bed and I will defer to others whether it is feasible to reuse the media if it is mixed bed.

But as Andy advised--first you have to identify the specific component that is causing the leak and then buy a replacement for the component.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I already had the prefilter burst earlier this year flooding my garage, and I could never get the company to pay for it.

I think the valve is a rebranded fleck twinflo. Bought new in 07, and the threads are clear. ... but it leaks out between the valve and thread collar, not anywhere from the tank itself. Would there be any way to tell if there is a crack in the tank, and if so and I have to buy a new one how much do they run? Resin is relatively new(2yrs old) can I reuse it. from taking it apart 5 times now it seems pretty simple. thanks, and sorry for the long reply.
Since the filter housing broke I say the cause is very likely excessive water pressure. Are you on city water? Do you have a pressure regulator valve? Do you have an expansion tank at the water heater? If you don't have a PRV I think you probably need one. You can buy a recording pressure gauge and put it on a faucet or outside faucet and turn on the water and let it that way for a few days, it will record the highest psi and if it is over 75-80 psi, you need the above before more things start breaking flooding things..

BTW, you should not use tape on the control valve or tank adapter threads.

A couple years ago I had a tank that leaked like this and the threads were cracked. The crack was very difficult to see.

The company being out of business doesn't change the warranty by the manufacturer. Call me with the model number of the tank and manufacturer's name (probably Structural/Pentair) and I'll go over how I can work with you and possibly be able to get the tank warranty.

You don't need new resin.

acrod

Reaction score
Yes I am on city water. So you think I should first switch the tanks to see if it also leaks? If the other one does leak when I switch them, it is probably a pressure issue in which case can be fixed by a pressure regulator correct? Is there a special way to go about checking the threads for small cracks?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
A leaking tank has has to be replaced, you can't just lower the pressure and depend on the tank not to leak worse later.

I've never heard of a bad tank adapter or control valve threads etc.. So if you want to swap tanks and run the risk of breaking a distributor tube or bottom basket and dumping gravel or resin into your plumbing, based on a salesman's say so that just loves to disagree with everything I say and probably has never done any service work to speak of, go for it but I think you have a bad tank.

Just this morning I received an email from a customer saying:
-----------
Gary,

Hi I purchased an Acid Neutralizer from you. I installed it about a month ago and all has been well. Last night I went down stairs and the tank was leaking at the neck where the Valve screws on. I disassembled the valve from the tank and there are 2 small hairline cracks about 1/4 in long.
-------------

I asked him to take a couple pictures of the cracks and send them to me. Based on the pictures I'll be replacing the tank under warranty.

I had another customer with a leaking tank about two months ago. Hsis leaked through the fiberglass strands about half way up the side.

Leaking tanks seems to be getting to be a common problem... up until about 3 years ago I only had one bad tank in 20 yrs.. Now I've had like 6-8 of them and they are Structural Fibers tanks. Most have been on city water.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I just got off the phone with another customer with a leaking tank!!

His first words were that he thinks he can see a fine crack in the white part of the neck where the control screws into the tank adn he can hear hissing and it was getting worse as he stod there looking at the water run down teh tank. I told him to by pass it and unplug the control and to send me pictures. Now I'm calling my supplier. This has to stop.

guidicessi

Reaction score
same issue

Hi Gary,

I know you are retired, but it looks like from your profile you still answer questions up here...thanks! I notice my resin tank had some staining on it this weekend and after close inspection it appears to be leaking ever so slightly, right were the fiberglass ends and the white ring begins. This is a system I bought from you. (less than 10 years ago) ...how do I go about repairing it, or getting the it covered via warranty?

thanks,

Tony

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks