(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: No water, help!!

DIY Junior Member 1st-home fixer-upper's Avatar

Angry No water, help!!

In my home I have water flowing from cold faucet in all restrooms,& kitchen. there is NO WATER flow through the hot side. I made sure that water valves were all on under sinks, still NO WATER coming through. What is causing this? And what can I do to check that water-heater is correctly.

Make sure the cold water valve above your water heater is turned on. Do you have galvanized steel water piping in your home? If so the hot water piping tends to clog up with debris more than the cold but even when its bad you usally get a little hot water out of a fucet or two.

DIY Junior Member 1st-home fixer-upper's Avatar

Exclamation No water, HELP!!

Thanks "good-man" Yes, cold water valve on top is def. on. Not sure about the galvanized steel plumbing, I got No water coming through hot water valves at all, anywhere . Does this mean my water heater is bad? Or how can I check to see if my heater is clogged with debris?? Can I unclog it???Help Please.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It's possible there are some steel nipples (short steel threaded pipes) going into and/or out of the WH. If these get old, they can clog up with rust. ALso, if they are a heat trap, some versions have a ball in them that gets stuck and can stop the flow. So, if you have cold, and the valve is open to the WH, it's probably something like that. Now, can you fix it...maybe, maybe not. We don't know what is really wrong, or your skill level and tools, or how your system is installed and with what parts.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

If you open the drain valve at the water heater with the supply valve open you should get a forceful flow (assuming that sediment doesn't seal it off.) Have you tried that? If it is not flowing there then you aren't getting water to the heater and should shut off the gas or electric to it until you have this sorted out.