Drain for garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

MattE

Reaction score
I had a new counter installed. I switched from a drop in sink to an under the counter sink. The new sink lowered the garbage disposal approx 2 inches. The centerline of the drain on the garbage disposal is the same as the centerline on the horizontal stubs coming out of the wall which leaves standing water in the garbage disposal

The configuration is there are three horizonatal stubs coming out of the wall. The sink is a double sink. Each sink has its own P-trap and goes in the wall each in its own stub. Once inside the wall, the two drains come together in a four way (top for the vent, bottom for the drain, and left and right for each sink drain.)
A third horizontal stub comes out of the wall with a p-trap and then goes up about a foot where the dishwasher drain is inserted. Once this line goes in the wall, the drain ties in below the other four way and the vent ties in above the other four way.

the easiest one to lower a stub the two inches would be to move the dishwasher drain (the other two span a stud). Then to make the dishwasher drain for the garbage disposal and what was the garbage disposal drain make the dishwasher drain.
Is this acceptable? or does the dishwasher need its own drain line separate from the sink? In my previous house, the dishwasher just tapped into the garbage disposal. Location Pennsylvania

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I've always seen the dishwasher drain to the garbage disposal and the garbage disposal draining into the tailpiece from the sink.

Can you post a picture of your setup for better understanding?

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
If im understanding you explination correctly yes you can do that. Or you can drain your dishwasher into the disposal and cap off the extra drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dishwasher

The disposer can be connected to any drain that is low enough. UNLESS the dishwasher is connected VERY carefully, and from your description it may not be, it can either be a serious health issue or a flood in the cabinet one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks