Blow out pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Seeker

Reaction score
How do I put together an attachment to blowout my pipes from the shower head with my portable air compressor? (for winterization)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very simple. After the shower head is removed, put a ball valve on the pipe, then go from that with fittings to reduce to an air hose quick coupler. Don't turn the air into the system until your faucets are open, the air compressor has too much pressure for the faucets and valves. You will need to have the farthest end of the system open or it will not drain completely. I'm not sure that's where I would attach the compressor, but it will probably work.

Seeker

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge. Where would you attach the compressor from the second floor to blowout hot and cold pipes? The last water supply 2nd floor is the toilet, second to last the shower. Also what is an air hose quick connect?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the house should drain by gravity. The toilet(s) should be turned off and the water flushed and dipped out of the tank. The trap should be plunged and sponged to remove as much water as possible then filled with RV (not Automotive) antifreeze. P traps also should be filled with antifreeze. The water lines to the toilets should be disconnected so you don't blow air into the toilet valves. You can hook the air anywhere in the system that you want. The compressor is connected with an air hose. A quick connect is a 2 piece spring loaded combination fittings that has a male end that plugs into a female end. This allows the hose to be attached quickly to many tools. I can't imagine that you have never been around a shop with air tools and seen how the mechanics change tools using just one hose. Any place that sells compressors has these fittings. Be sure you open the faucets before you turn the air into the pipes, and be sure you have turned the electricity or gas off to the water heater before you drain it. The heater will drain by gravity. If you are still confused, I would recommend you hire a plumber to winterize the house.

Seeker

Reaction score
Thanks. I never had a problem winterizing until the second floor was added to the cottage. Gravity always worked fine. I was planning on using a 2/3 HP portable air compressor to clear the pipes and wasn't sure how to attach the air hose to the system or whether I should have valves opened or closed. (I've been told both)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks