How to find a local expert? (Chicago area)

Users who are viewing this thread

chsitko

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help.

I moved up to Wheaton IL which is outside Chicago from Orlando Florida. The house we bought has a boiler with floor board radiators for heating. I have no knowledge on these systems (except for what i've read here). What is the best way to find an expert with boilers and the heating system in my area. I want an honest evaluation of my current system and the condition it is in. I want someone who understands the differences in modern boilers and which types are applicable for specific applications/installations. I read it would be important to have someone do "ACCA Manual-J" test?

Our home is a ranch with a basement. The main level is aprox 1400 sqft with anothe 1400 in the basement. The current boiler is a Ack-o-matic 21W5 rated at 128000 BTU.

Thanks again for any info.
Chris

Cookie

Reaction score
As a homeowner since the 1980's, I would say to do what I have done a couple of times. I used Angie's List or a neighbor's recommendation. I never go by the sticker sometimes found on the water heater, etc, because I have no knowledge of them. Even though you are new to the neighborhood, it might be a good way to meet them, introduce yourself and ask. Or join, Angie's List. I shy away from the yellow pages, the big page ads, because to me, they are too expensive.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Chris,

There are some great plumbers here I THINK, in your area, or at least maybe, near you, or at least in the same state as you are. If they can't help you, maybe, they can refer you at least to another good plumber, if that is what you need for a boiler.

You could check out, Master Plumber Mark, and I think he might be near you. You could PM him, or check out his site for info, I looked it up for you. If not maybe, he can refer you to another.

http://weilhammerplumbing.com/home/

chsitko

Reaction score
Thanks Cookie for the help, I look forward to hopefully getting some local advice/recomendations as well.

I signed up for Angies List last night and I have been pouring through the reviews. Problem is that most Heating A/C companies seem to be the regular run of the mill companies that specialize in forced air heating. I've talked with a couple of local companies who say they can service/install boilers, but when I dive into specifics about the operation of such systems and proper sizing, they don’t impress me with what they know (or pretend to know).

I'll keep looking, and I'm sure i will have many more questions. I always want to learn what I dont yet know, and i know little about my boiler setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks