(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Antivirus shuts off if not renewed

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    AVG is free forever, and never shuts off, can't get any better than that.
    DANG!
    What she said!

The automatic updates stop after awhile, so you have to remember to update it yourself... but so what! It's free! AND it's WAY better protection than Norton or McAffee.

If you're extra-paranoid, throw on Spybot S&D, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware... there's a ton of free AV programs out there, that work better than the garbage those crook charge you for.

(Of course, the single biggest precaution you can take: don't surf on Internet Explorer. Use Mozilla instead, with the no-script add-on. Or surf with Google Chrome, or Opera... anything but IE.)
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    What she said!

The automatic updates stop after awhile, so you have to remember to update it yourself... but so what! It's free! AND it's WAY better protection than Norton or McAffee.

If you're extra-paranoid, throw on Spybot S&D, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware... there's a ton of free AV programs out there, that work better than the garbage those crook charge you for.

(Of course, the single biggest precaution you can take: don't surf on Internet Explorer. Use Mozilla instead, with the no-script add-on. Or surf with Google Chrome, or Opera... anything but IE.)
    Free is good, nothing is perfect but if you aren't paying for it, free is free. IS their really a free lunch? I want a free lunch...
    Plus, if you watch the sites you go to, no racy sites, etc, don't open pop ups, you might not get a virus.
    I don't personally pay for anything unless, I have to, all I do is work.

Dang!
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-22-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Norton?
    Who are they?
    Don't they have a Rip Off Anti-Virus software?
    One that updates on Wednesday and if some new virus hits on Friday just hope you don't get it before next Wednesday...
    Don't they have an Anti-Virus software that is difficult to remove from your computer?
    Don't they have an Anti-Virus software that is a resource hog and slows the computer down?

It almost sounds like Norton is a virus...

Been using AVG for years and am quite happy with it.
    The price is right too!

Sometimes you do get a free lunch, Red. Sometimes, things are FREE, and good! Tonite I got a free dinner, from a very handsome man. And, I shared my 99cents burgers from Wendy ( compliments of my handsome young son) lol.

Back on topic, AVG is the best.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-29-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Talking Good one, Redwood!

Oh, you made me laugh. Yes, many people think Norton is as bad as the average virus! That was succinct and funny. Unlike my long ramble below:

Since the dawn of IP time, anti-virus software has worked like this: you pay for it, which gives you the "engine" and the regular updates to remove newly created viruses. After your "subscription" runs out, the engine keeps working, but does not automatically update itself. If you want automatic updates, you have to pay to renew. Some purveyors allow you to update for free if you do it manually. For Norton to stop working altogether is a kind of violation of the standard of performance that people have come to expect. I used to get Norton for free every January - the local computers-r-us store would have a promotion where it came bundled with the tax software I used. But there are some very fine free programs out there - PC Tools has a free and a paid version, other ones mentioned above are good. If you are good about remembering to update your definitions, you should be fine with those. If you forget, you might want to pay for a subscription. And regardless - it's not as dangerous as you think. Seriously. If you visit adult sites, share files, open attachments, then you do need to be more vigilant. But especially if you have an email provider that scans your mail for viruses (many do) and hang out here at Terry's place, you are working in a pretty safe environment, and your risks are low. Don't skip the anti-virus, but don't lose sleep over it either. Do get a good anti-malware program - Microsoft has a free one that is excellent. And enjoy.

I recently closed my computer business because it was interfering with my plumbing business. (For introductory purposes.)

The first thing I would like to say about Norton Antivirus is that I think that Peter Norton and his company deserve some respect. That said, I haven't used their products in a number of years.

People would bring computers to the shop that would start, run for about a minute, then shut down for no reason. They were messed up pretty badly. You had to be quick: it was a Norton Antivirus file that was shutting them down - an expired antivirus subscription. If you could get to the Control Panel and remove NAV quickly enough, the problem was fixed.

So it isn't just a matter that it would stop working, but it could also stop the computer from working.

And Norton had the bad form to keep messing things up after you removed the anti-virus because it left behind the Live Update program that would slow the computer to a crawl.

Thanks to competition and complaints, Symantec products are pretty much completely removed when uninstalled now, and they've seen the light and are selling the antivirus for a reduced price.

But there's still free. AVG free is a great antivirus and that's been mine for a long time. If you feel guilty using a free anti-virus, well, by all means, use the paid version.

BTW - the free version is not for business use.
    Steve's Plumbing Service

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Norton also was, maybe still is, a huge PIA when installing some programs (Cad and Energy Calc programs in my experience).

I think Norton was good back in the day when AOL was good.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida