Website
holidaves.com
Norton Antivirus shuts off if not renewed
Well I wasn't aware of this - bought NAV 2008, free upgrade to 2009
I'm used to every AV product I have ever used simply stopping the updates

Nope Norton SHUTS IT OFF when the subscription expires
censored.gif

Unless Norton changes this I've used their product for the last time
In addition their "online" renewal is DOUBLE the cost of buying THE SAME SOFTWARE from other vendors

AND - I just found out if you Renewed IN ADVANCE of your renewal date YOU LOST the remaining time on your subscription
So they have %$#@#!! me over in the past
censored.gif

http://www.geek-news.net/2008/09/sym...n-lawsuit.html

EXTREMELY unethical business practices in my opinion

For now I've installed AVG
Not sure if I will stick with that or go with something else

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score

If you buy a one year subcription, why wouldn't you expect it to stop after one year?

AND - I just found out if you Renewed IN ADVANCE of your renewal date YOU LOST the remaining time on your subscription
Sorry again, if you are buying a "year" subscription, why would you install it if you still have time left on your original subscription.

When you install it in December it says "Your subscription expires Dec..." the following year, so if you install the update in September of next year wouldn't you expect it to say "Your subscription expires Sept..." of next year?

Not trying to be condenseding just not sure how the lawsuit would work?

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
If you buy a one year subcription, why wouldn't you expect it to stop after one year?

Sorry again, if you are buying a "year" subscription, why would you install it if you still have time left on your original subscription.

When you install it in December it says "Your subscription expires Dec..." the following year, so if you install the update in September of next year wouldn't you expect it to say "Your subscription expires Sept..." of next year?

Not trying to be condenseding just not sure how the lawsuit would work?

In the past Norton simpy stopped processing all updates
It did not shut off
Oh wait, I said that already

WRONG again, Norton warns you in ADVANCE that your subscription will expire in 30, 90 days
If you upgraded BEFORE your current license expired you lost the remaining time on the existing license
Norton has already admitted this was a problem

WRONG again, the lawsuit has already gone to court & Norton is settling
The deadline for filing to receive a $15 credit has already passed

So WRONG Cookie

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Norton Antivirus shuts off if not renewed
Well I wasn't aware of this - bought NAV 2008, free upgrade to 2009
I'm used to every AV product I have ever used simply stopping the updates

censored.gif

Unless Norton changes this I've used their product for the last time
In addition their "online" renewal is DOUBLE the cost of buying THE SAME SOFTWARE from other vendors

censored.gif

http://www.geek-news.net/2008/09/sym...n-lawsuit.html

EXTREMELY unethical business practices in my opinion

For now I've installed AVG
Not sure if I will stick with that or go with something else

In the past Norton simpy stopped processing all updates
It did not shut off
Oh wait, I said that already

WRONG again, Norton warns you in ADVANCE that your subscription will expire in 30, 90 days
If you upgraded BEFORE your current license expired you lost the remaining time on the existing license
Norton has already admitted this was a problem

WRONG again, the lawsuit has already gone to court & Norton is settling
The deadline for filing to receive a $15 credit has already passed

So WRONG Cookie

If your subscription is for one year why would you expect it to continue to work update or not?
I use Norton and every year i update it, why would you use a Antivirus program that doesn't update? New viruses pop up everyday.

Norton saying there is a problem and settling, does not mean they are wrong it just means they don't want to make existing and future customers mad, i do it all the time (remember customer is always right, even when most times they are wrong).

It's true it should give you notice, but i guess when it shuts off you'll know.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am just agreeing with Peter. Peter is actually right.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
No, Peter is actually wrong
I do not have a single software program (now that I have dumped Norton) THAT STOPS WORKING after 1 year
And I have HUNDRED's of programs all the way back to Windows 386
I have also worked with thousands of programs in the IT field
Updates stop, & after a few years all support stops

There isn't another AV program I know of THAT STOPS WORKING
They stop giving you updates
BUT THEY DON'T STOP working & protecting you from past Virus issues

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I do...I have Stopzilla and it stops if not renewed on the 1 year date...

Why don't you have it automaticly renew...then no problems...??

Peanut9199

Reaction score
I do not have a single software program (now that I have dumped Norton) THAT STOPS WORKING after 1 year

I know i read your profile that says you were in IT, which again i would ask because you would know better than anyone why you would use a Antivirus program when you are not getting updates regularly.

To use a program hoping no new virus will hit you and only old ones will is taking a big risk.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Norton always used to continue to work, just didn't update the virus definitions after the time was up. Actually, most antivirus programs used to work that way IIRC.

Dave, we use AVG at work and haven't had a problem. I run it at home and also never had a problem.

I've also used antivast (?) without issue.

I have hated running Norton for years. I used to be a cad manager for an engineer and that program caused so many issues and at best slowed stuff down to an unacceptable level.

No Norton anything or McAffy either.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
quicken screws you

with quicken if you have a pro2004, or 05,
they wont support it anymore and force you to upgrade to 2009 for about 189.00, I thought that was pretty crappy

then they try to insist that you need to pay them another 150 becasue you are useing their program on more than 3 computors...

I have had it that way since 04 and I got very irate about this,
and they let it slide...
but they tried to shake me down for that extra $150/

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I'm still using Quicken 2002, still works & does everything I need it to
Just as a lot of the software I have & use
I didn't upgrade to Vista (& wish I had not) until my last building permit/plans were done
I didn't want to try the old version on Crapista
I've worked for several companies that still have DOS & windows 3x machines running
They have specific software that they use once a month on these machines
To upgrade would cost $1500-$3k per PC
So they save that $$ with every new OS that comes out

I have tons of software dating back 10 years or more & it all still works
The only exception is Norton

I do...I have Stopzilla and it stops if not renewed on the 1 year date...

Why don't you have it automaticly renew...then no problems...??

Their nice convienent auto update is a rip-off - $60 for one year

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
AVG is free forever, and never shuts off, can't get any better than that.
DANG!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Norton pissed me off a couple years ago. I did NOT get emails warning that my subcription was going to expire. I just woke up one moring to an email that said...."sorry, your antivirus expired and your computer is not protected".\

I dumped them, and have been using Kaspersky for a few years, with no problems. They are a little expensive, and others I know recommend nod32 from ESET.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
AVG is free forever, and never shuts off, can't get any better than that.
DANG!

What she said!

The automatic updates stop after awhile, so you have to remember to update it yourself... but so what! It's free! AND it's WAY better protection than Norton or McAffee.

If you're extra-paranoid, throw on Spybot S&D, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware... there's a ton of free AV programs out there, that work better than the garbage those crook charge you for.

(Of course, the single biggest precaution you can take: don't surf on Internet Explorer. Use Mozilla instead, with the no-script add-on. Or surf with Google Chrome, or Opera... anything but IE.)

Cookie

Reaction score
What she said!

The automatic updates stop after awhile, so you have to remember to update it yourself... but so what! It's free! AND it's WAY better protection than Norton or McAffee.

If you're extra-paranoid, throw on Spybot S&D, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware... there's a ton of free AV programs out there, that work better than the garbage those crook charge you for.

(Of course, the single biggest precaution you can take: don't surf on Internet Explorer. Use Mozilla instead, with the no-script add-on. Or surf with Google Chrome, or Opera... anything but IE.)

Free is good, nothing is perfect but if you aren't paying for it, free is free. IS their really a free lunch? :) I want a free lunch...
Plus, if you watch the sites you go to, no racy sites, etc, don't open pop ups, you might not get a virus.
I don't personally pay for anything unless, I have to, all I do is work.

Dang!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Norton?
Who are they?
Don't they have a Rip Off Anti-Virus software?
One that updates on Wednesday and if some new virus hits on Friday just hope you don't get it before next Wednesday...:eek:
Don't they have an Anti-Virus software that is difficult to remove from your computer?
Don't they have an Anti-Virus software that is a resource hog and slows the computer down?

It almost sounds like Norton is a virus...:confused:

Been using AVG for years and am quite happy with it.:cool:
The price is right too!

Cookie

Reaction score
Sometimes you do get a free lunch, Red. Sometimes, things are FREE, and good! Tonite I got a free dinner, from a very handsome man. And, I shared my 99cents burgers from Wendy ( compliments of my handsome young son) lol.

Back on topic, AVG is the best.

Last edited:

Dorrough

Reaction score
Good one, Redwood!

Oh, you made me laugh. Yes, many people think Norton is as bad as the average virus! That was succinct and funny. Unlike my long ramble below:

Since the dawn of IP time, anti-virus software has worked like this: you pay for it, which gives you the "engine" and the regular updates to remove newly created viruses. After your "subscription" runs out, the engine keeps working, but does not automatically update itself. If you want automatic updates, you have to pay to renew. Some purveyors allow you to update for free if you do it manually. For Norton to stop working altogether is a kind of violation of the standard of performance that people have come to expect. I used to get Norton for free every January - the local computers-r-us store would have a promotion where it came bundled with the tax software I used. But there are some very fine free programs out there - PC Tools has a free and a paid version, other ones mentioned above are good. If you are good about remembering to update your definitions, you should be fine with those. If you forget, you might want to pay for a subscription. And regardless - it's not as dangerous as you think. Seriously. If you visit adult sites, share files, open attachments, then you do need to be more vigilant. But especially if you have an email provider that scans your mail for viruses (many do) and hang out here at Terry's place, you are working in a pretty safe environment, and your risks are low. Don't skip the anti-virus, but don't lose sleep over it either. Do get a good anti-malware program - Microsoft has a free one that is excellent. And enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks