how do I release the flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

timbo69

Reaction score
I recently had to remove a toilet from our second bathroom and had a hell of a time getting it off due to the fact the bolts were rusted up and simply kept turning round and round when I tried using a spanner on them - why I don't know, as it's my understanding that they're supposed to sit snugly in recesses on the flange that are supposed to hold them firmly in place. The long and the short of it is that I finally had to use a grinder to cut them out.

Problem is that now I have another problem, in that I can't release the flange in order to slot in a couple of new bolts. I though that it would in turn be bolted into the concrete via another pair of bolts, but that's not the case - it seems to be firmly glued in place.

Can anyone tell from the attached picture what kind of flange I'm dealing with and how I can get it off? The whole thing needs to be extended, or so I believe, because I'm replacing the old laminate flooring with ceramic tile.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Tim

Attachments

• toilet flange.jpg
    toilet flange.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 276

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, flanges don't 'release'. See what the pros have to say. I can't tell from the pic what you have, but a pro probably can.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many times you can't get bolts off.
That's why we always figure on installing new bolts with a new toilet.

Getting bolts off that spin?
Sawzall, or tap the bowl near the bolt and lift out the broken pieces.

You may need to chip a bit of flooring out to slid the old bolts out and the new in.

By the way, we buy closet bolts that come with four washer and four nuts. It makes installing and removing easier.
Only plumbing supplies carry them.

Big Box stores are too cheap to carry them.

But again, and I know the DIY homeowner won't understand this.
Our time is worth more then a penny or two.
A Pro like to do things once, and they don't like waiting in line to replace defective bowls and tanks made by American Standard.
We don't see homeowners willing to pay us to stand in line, and driving around replacing defective bowls and tanks, and doing the work two or three times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks