Help installing shut off valve on copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

jewelryLady

Reaction score
I am trying to install a new compression shut off valve onto copper pipe coming from the floor for my toilet. I followed the directions and handtightened and then did about a 1/2 turn with the wrench. It feels nice and snug on the pipe but when I turned the water back on to test it I got water leaking out. Should I try tightening more? I know it says not to overtighten so I was worried about that. I didn't put anything on it this time, no tape or pipe compound. It's brand new copper pipe that we cut open (it had been capped) with a pipe cutter.

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tighten it some more. It should be quite snug, not as tight as you could make it, but remember, you are shaping the copper pipe so it's going to some pressure.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If it is weeping lightly keep tightening it slightly more.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a novice, it makes it a little easier if you put a drop of oil on the threads, then it turns easier and smoother. Otherwise, with the often lousy threads, it catches and makes it hard to make small adjustments. Just one small drop, or maybe a little swab of silicon.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Do not use teflon tape or anything else to seal the threads...the threads aren't making the watertight connection...the compression ring is sealing as it gets sandwitched between the compression nut and the valve. And you need to turn the compression nut more than a half turn past being hand tight to get the valve installed properly. Don't worry about overtightening it, just keep turning the nut until it starts to get pretty stiff....it should start "squeaking" as you turn it.....however you should definitely be double wrenching this so that you don't break the stubout inside the wall and end up with a flood!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks