storm door lock set

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new lock for a storm door. Problem is that what I seem to be finding is locks that take those small keys. The last two of these I've had seem to wear out quickly allowing any/most small keys to unlock the door. Not very safe.

I recently had a storm door put on the front of my house that is actually keyed to my schlage key and I'd like something like that to retrofit the other door. So basically I am looking for a storm door lock set that works with a schlage/quickset "house" key instead of a standard "storm" door key.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
With the help of Google Images, I might have found what I need, but I'm not certain it will work.

Here is the link http://www.wright-products.com/products/storm_door_products/Accents_Designer

The Georgian deadbolt and latch, which are the two at top of the page, are what we have on the door right now. The mortised lockset, which is shown at the bottom, is similar if not the same that my front storm door has and it takes a regular size house key. Does anyone know if something like that Serenade style, middle of page, would replace the Georgian style, but with a full size key?

How hard is it to turn what I have into a mortised style? I'll go look at the door and I've downloaded the dimensions and such. Just curious if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't look at a storm door as part of the security. It is not that sturdy a door to begin with....probalby can be pried with an exacto knife, so to me it seems locking it is just an unnecessary PITA?

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't look at a storm door as part of the security. It is not that sturdy a door to begin with....probalby can be pried with an exacto knife, so to me it seems locking it is just an unnecessary PITA?

I would agree on a lot of storm doors, but the one on the front with the "house key" seems very solid and has a deadbolt type of lock. Not sure how strong the glass is, but it's should be pretty tough.

The one that I'm trying to change the lock out on, we were told by the manufacturer that it'd stand up to a sledge hammer. So it appears the lock is the weak point at this time.

No, not main security, but it would be nice to know that someone can't just walk up and unlock it with any old key.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
door

The type of lockset you can use on the door depends on what kind of "lockbox" it is fitted with. Most are not thick enough, nor do they have the required opening for the handle mechanism.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks