Pressure Tank sounds like a screaming banshee

Users who are viewing this thread

ttracy

Reaction score
Well the post header says it all. Installed a Goulds 10gpm pump a little over a year ago (along with an Amtrol/Well-x-trol 44 gal pressure tank). Everything ran great from day 1, until we went away for a few days back in July. Now, when the pump starts for the first time after a long sit (overnight or 3+ hours) there is a LOUD whirring/"power-stearing belt too tight" noise coming from the tank. Watching the pressure gauge, there is no pause on the cut-in, cut out is right at 60 psi. Noise is loudest at pump startup, then quiets as the tank fills. Our last pump died after 5 years because a) it was a jacuzzi pump, but mostly b) the pressure tank was undersized. When our last pump died the noises came from the pump (bearings?!) and it was clear as day that it was the pump making the "I'm going to blow" sounds. These noises seem to be coming from the pressure tank. I pulled the pump yesterday just to check a few things: no debris stuck between motor and pump, no splits in the 1" plastic pipe, no leaks at the pitless adapter, brass check-valve at top of well not leaking. With the cap off the well (30' from house) and listening down the casing - only heard low 'normal' hum when pump started. But, from OUTSIDE, I could hear the pressure tank screaming inside the basement (coming through the wall, not through the casing). Connections inside the house - 1" pvc to 10gpm dole vale to brass check-valve to pressure tank T. The dole valve has a rubber orafice - so I don't think the noise is coming from there. The brass check valve vibrates with the noise but I don't think it's coming from there. Any suggestions? Is there something metallic inside the pressure tank that would vibrate causing the noise? The bottom of the tank acts like a bell - really sends the noise out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
About the only thing I can think to try is to lower the air pressure in the tank. With a 40/60 pressure switch, try 30 PSI air in the tank. This will keep the bladder from getting close to the bottom before the pump starts. If that doesn’t help, I would send the tank back for warranty. Those tanks have a 5 year warranty, and they should not be making noise.

It could be the Dole valve making the noise. After the well sits idle for 3+ hours, the water level is at maximum in the well. This will put more differential pressure across the Dole valve when the pump starts. The rubber piece in the Dole valve could be making that noise if the differential pressure gets over 125 PSI. Give me the model number of the pump and the static water level and I can figure the differential pressure.

ttracy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Not being at home to check, I'm pretty sure the pump is a Goulds 10GS07. The pump sits at 160' in a 180' well, static level is artificially kept at 4' below the top of the casing (with a second pitless adapter spilling excess into the woods). Well produces 8+ gpm. As for the tank pressure, I'm running it 35 to 60 psi (confirmed with amtrol that I can have more than a 20psi spread - to give me longer pump runtime). Tank air charge set at 33psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 10 GPM Dole valve, pumping from 4' with a 10GS07, the back pressure on the Dole is 108 PSI. That should be OK but, is the only thing that makes sense to me for making that kind of noise. I suspect the Dole Valve. Try dropping the air pressure in the tank to 25 PSI. If that doesn’t stop the noise, check the Dole Valve.

ttracy

Reaction score
Well, I ran home at lunch... drained the tank, let air out to 25psi, fired everything back up and still the high-pitched whine. Ran the hose and cycled a few times - still no change. Guess it is the dole valve.

What's your opinion on using dole valves? I remember having a real hard time finding one a year ago (none of the local plumbing stores carry them). If memory serves me, the goulds install manual requires one for wells with a high static level (like mine). When I take the dole valve out, is there anything in particular I'm looking for - or am I just pitching it? Funny that it was quiet for more than a year. Could a bad check valve give off a high-pitch whine?

Thank you for all your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks