Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I have had county water installed in my home. I have 80 pounds of pressure and I like it just fine.
My question is, do I need to cut the pressure with a water pressure regulator or is 80# ok with scedule 40 PVC and CPVC in a 30 year old home?

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
80 lbs is the max water pressure allowed in a domestic water system. 81 lbs you would be required to install a prv. Your water pressure will fluctuate during hi and low usage times in your neighborhood so chances are it will go above 80 at some point. The install wouldn't hurt especially with the CPVC system

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Install a PRV and expansion tank and set the pressure at 70# and you will never notice the difference..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Psi

I usually set the PRV to 75 or 80 psi, so if that is what you have, I would not install a PRV. The systems have a large capacity for override, and many houses in this area have pressures in excess of 100 psi without PRVs,

Reaction score
Giles,

Have you installed a test gauge over a few days that will indicate the max pressure the system sees? (The max reading is just from a second needle with a spur that the regular indicator needle will sweep into place.) With this you can see what the max pressure is overnight and determine if it spikes at times.

Depending on how your system is configured you might be hitting 100 psi for a while from thermal expansion even if the supply is at 80. This might not do be doing any harm, but you probably want to be aware of it when considering your options.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
Giles,

Have you installed a test gauge over a few days that will indicate the max pressure the system sees? (The max reading is just from a second needle with a spur that the regular indicator needle will sweep into place.) With this you can see what the max pressure is overnight and determine if it spikes at times.

Depending on how your system is configured you might be hitting 100 psi for a while from thermal expansion even if the supply is at 80. This might not do be doing any harm, but you probably want to be aware of it when considering your options.

I have installed a pressure gauge and have checked it several times. It ranges from 72-80psi. Of course I havent checked it at 3am but I will tonight, just out of curiosity. I have bought a regulator and will install tomarrow.--THANKS for all replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks