Toilet will be a bit tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My basement toilet will be darn close to the wall when fitted.

Before I build the wall...

what is the clearance needed for a toilet again?

Thanks.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Really? That's all? So I could put a toilet in a 2'-6" x 2'-9" room? Neat! Coat closet, move over.. :)

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian, I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are talking rough-in distance, that's finished wall to the center of the drain, the actual distance needed will depend on the toilet you use. I assume you are going to us an AS toilet, so you will need to see the spec sheet and find out what the model you are going to install really requires. I think AS is similar to other brands, including Toto, in that the actual space needed is usually somewhat less than the rough-in size listed for the toilet. Of course, a toilet listed as a 12" RI will always fit a 12" space, but there will be some space between the toilet and wall.

On the other hand, if you are talking about side clearance, then it's 15" center of toilet to wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Really? That's all? So I could put a toilet in a 2'-6" x 2'-9" room? Neat! Coat closet, move over.. :) Lakee911

15" from center to next object, 30"
24" in front of bowl

Length of bowl is about 28" plus the 24" gives you about 4'4"

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the very useful responses. It was the side dimensions I was after.

I am roughing in the toilet supply stub 7 inches off center and 7 inches off the floor.

Since this is just the dark, dirty, damp basement, I will probably just go for a cheap, nothing special Toto Drake hidden out of view....the AS Cadet 3 will retain pride of place in the master.

I am tempted to go for a one piece after hearing all the advantages.

How far does the 12 inch Drake extend back? My drain is currently 12 inches from the studs (11.5 inches with the drywall up).

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake needs 11" from finished wall.

I prefer the CEFIONTECT version.
The one-piece comes with the seat, and then the tank is molded to the bowl.
Pull it from the box and stick it on the wax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks