pipe threads with teeth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Husky Dad

Reaction score
Im installing a rubinet wall mount faucet. The 1/2 male thread pipe that comes out of the back of the faucet ( for wall connection) has teeth or smaill grit made into the thread. Got any info on what this type of thread is called and its purpose? I'm thinking its to give a good grip without having to completely seat the fitting. Any help would be appreciated. H D

3_77_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky Dad

Reaction score
No sorry, left the fixture at the job site. The 1/2 inch threaded male piece looks just like any connection ive seen except, if you look close , you see very tiny teeth, or symetricaly placed grit, which i believe are supposed to cut into the copper female threads.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
a random guess

The 1/2 male thread pipe that comes out of the back of the faucet ( for wall connection) has teeth or smaill grit made into the thread.

My guess is that you are looking at the results of galling that has occurred during manufacture, due to the reduced machinability of lead-free brass, possibly combined with thread dies designed for normal machinable brass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks