Finished Basement with Exposed Ceiling Pipes - Can they be moved?

Users who are viewing this thread

SSug

Reaction score
Hello,
Considering buying a home with a finished basement (900 sqft of space), but has about a dozen or so exposed pipes that hang about 5-6" below the ceiling running through middle of the rooms. Ceiling height right now is about 6' 3". It is quite the obstacle course down there, but would be nice if the pipes could be moved, so I was wonder if it would be possible to move pipes up the 5 to 6" inches necessary to get them into the basement ceiling so they are no longer exposed? Has anyone dealt with this in the past? If so, what would something like this cost to do?
Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What are the pipes and what size? If it is ridgid pipe like copper, you would have to replace with flexible soft copper to fish it through.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

Whether you can do it or not depends on what kind of pipes they are. Water pipes no problem, heating lines maybe problems, drain lines definitely a problem.

SSug

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The pipes are water and radiated water heat pipes. I hope that helps.

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a limit on how many and how big (and their placement) when drilling holes in joists to run pipes across them, so that may be a concern, too. You could probably substitute the rigid pipe with either flexible copper or pex. You don't want to notch the bottom of the joists...that weakens them far more than a hole in the middle, and is against code most places, too.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Related question: my water pipes are currently run along the bottom of the joists.

Will this be OK when finishing my basement (I plan on hanging a suspended ceiling)?

I don't want to have to drill even more holes in the joists (the electrical has done enough of that).

SSug

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I will take all that into consideration as we move forward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks