In the middleis the 16x16 sunroom w/wrap around deck
Then to the right (not shown) is a small 7x10 greenhouse against the house
2nd floro has been dormered for more room/Master bedroom

DSCF5891.jpg

GH09web.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No Ian...You can't invite your self and family over for a dip...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You're right Cass. In any case, it doesn't look like he has the room. :eek:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha....Maybe if you build Dave a pool house he will give you swimming rights...

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Psssst...Ian ....I have a pool :D
One of the main reasons we bought the house
There was a pool cabana that I added onto, now 10'x22' long
Solar water heating system will be on the roof
Plus a 3x10' bar outside - to be finished
This was a few years back when I bought a new filter/pump (now inside)

CabanaAddition3.jpg

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Actually, I don't see a code issue with dropping down and over. True that heat rises, but air has mass, and can be pumped down more easily than up. Efficiency will not be affected.

Just exactly how you terminate needs to be worked out. You don't want moist air backfeeding into the basement through that window, or collecting in a poorly ventilated space.

A few errors in physical intuition model here...

*Heat doesn't rise, it moves from hot to cold.

*Less-dense fluids rise as denser fluids fall due to gravity. Hot exhaust gas has lower density than cold exhaust gas (or air), and will rise as the denser gas displaces it due to gravitational forces. (The cloud of less dense gas "floats" in the denser gas, rising.)

*It takes more energy, not less, to force a lower density gas downward, counter to the gravitational forces on the denser cool gases that it is displacing. (It's "easier" to pump it up, working with gravity.)

Thought experiment: Take a helium balloon at head height, push it to the floor, what happens? You've forced an equal volume of heavier gas (the air) upward against the force of gravity- that takes energy.

In the dryer vent gas case it's not a huge force if the drop is small, say 3-5', but at 20' you may encounter measurably lower flow (and not just due to duct friction.)

Can't help on the code issue though- no idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks