(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Code for Dryer Venting

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member molo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    cold new york
    Posts
    840

    Default Code for Dryer Venting

    I am installing a gas dryer and would like to know if I can vent it down through the floor and out a basement window. Any ideas?

    Thanks for any replies
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,448

    Default

    Not sure about codes, but you'd have a big problem if there was a leak, plus, I think you'd end up decreasing the efficiency by maybe a significant amount...hot air wants to rise, not be pushed down. Plus, if there was a leak, you could have CO, too. Having it rise, like in a flue, is both safer and more efficient.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member molo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    cold new york
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Not sure about codes, but you'd have a big problem if there was a leak, plus, I think you'd end up decreasing the efficiency by maybe a significant amount...hot air wants to rise, not be pushed down. Plus, if there was a leak, you could have CO, too. Having it rise, like in a flue, is both safer and more efficient.

    This would be in a flu pipe (rigid) but it would go downwards about 2 feet and over about 5' before exiting.

    Thanks for any replies
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

  4. #4
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Actually, I don't see a code issue with dropping down and over. True that heat rises, but air has mass, and can be pumped down more easily than up. Efficiency will not be affected.

    Just exactly how you terminate needs to be worked out. You don't want moist air backfeeding into the basement through that window, or collecting in a poorly ventilated space.

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member molo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    cold new york
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Actually, I don't see a code issue with dropping down and over. True that heat rises, but air has mass, and can be pumped down more easily than up. Efficiency will not be affected.

    Just exactly how you terminate needs to be worked out. You don't want moist air backfeeding into the basement through that window, or collecting in a poorly ventilated space.
    If this will work. I will probably eliminate the small basement window entirely to terminate the vent through.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

  6. #6
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    I installed a dryer vent window. So far so good.


  7. #7
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    When all else fails read the directions...or call the Mfg. and ask..

  8. #8
    Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South of Boston, MA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I installed a dryer vent window. So far so good
    You bought a dryer window?
    This must have been after the 3rd wisdom tooth was removed
    My house they just cut the glass & put the vent in
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

  9. #9
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Yes...but Ians comes with that nice wooden stand...I bet yours didn't...

  10. #10
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,781

    Default

    I'll let you know that that dryer vent window has been tested.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South of Boston, MA
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Yes...but Ians comes with that nice wooden stand...I bet yours didn't...
    Yes but mine has bubble wrap
    The bubble wrap window is now inside the garage
    I'd like to sya they cut the window glass & put in a piece of wood
    But in reality they just broke the window glass & put up a small piece of paneling
    The whole area will be cut out for a door to the garage


    They used to have the sump pump output going out this window too
    I moved it to the back window that is a storage area under the sunroom
    It then enters a drainage pipe that goes out past the garage

    The dryer will move to the right of the window & go out thru the rim joist
    Then a short jog to the right to exit the garage



    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

  13. #13
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    Yes but mine has bubble wrap
    The bubble wrap window is now inside the garage
    I'd like to sya they cut the window glass & put in a piece of wood
    But in reality they just broke the window glass & put up a small piece of paneling
    The whole area will be cut out for a door to the garage


    They used to have the sump pump output going out this window too
    I moved it to the back window that is a storage area under the sunroom
    It then enters a drainage pipe that goes out past the garage

    The dryer will move to the right of the window & go out thru the rim joist
    Then a short jog to the right to exit the garage



    I'm outta' here.

  14. #14
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Yes...but Ians comes with that nice wooden stand...I bet yours didn't...
    I was disappointed that Ian's was not shiny copper though...

  15. #15
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Agreed...but Daves does have that Down Home Kentucky "I live back in the Holler" look with the bubble wrap....

    Just kinda gives you that warm feeling...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •