Toto recommendation needed for 10 1/2" rough-in & water supply is 5" from center

Users who are viewing this thread

DaisyBee

Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to replace a very old toilet which requires 2 flushes each time just to get toilet paper down...and at least 3 flushes for more than toilet paper. It clogs often and the plunger gets alot of use around here. We are a family of four so there is a lot of water being wasted.

I am looking for a Toto but the house is more than 50 yrs old so the rough-in is 10 1/2" and the water supply is 5" from the center. The water pressure is also very low. I'd like the G-Max flush system, 1.6 GPF, and CEFIONTECT. I am just 5 ft tall so standard height would be preferable. Is there a Toto for me???

I wanted the Drake but it has a 12" rough-in. I looked at the Vespin but it requires a water supply located 7" from center. How difficult is it to move the water supply? Please help! Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the Vespin, the water supply can be 7" to the left of center.
With copper pipes, I can solder on a 90 el and move it over 2"

If worse comes to worse, you can always move it in the wall too.

The Vespin gives you the option of using the 10" Unifit adapter, that would make your 10.5" rough-in work.
The Vespin model would be CST764SG and then you would also need the 10" Unifit for it.

The rough-in is measured from the wall, not the floor mold.
The Drake will work with 10-7/8" and with the water at 3" left of center.
The CEFIONTECT, standard height version is CST744SG

10" Toto Drake toilets.
They only need 9-1/4" to install.

CST744EF.10 or CST744SF.10

Comfort height, elongated bowl with either the 1.28 gallon Watersense Eco Flush
or the 1.6 gallon G-Max flush.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

DaisyBee

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply! I just re-measured and the rough-in is exactly 10 1/2" from the wall. Which would be the easiest way to go? Unfortunately, no one around here is handy enough to move pipes but if needed, I'll find someone! Vespin or Drake? :)

DaisyBee

Reaction score
Vespin it is then! Many thanks for helping someone who is totally ignorant when it comes to toilets & plumbing!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Vespin and a Carlyle...they both work fine. The spec sheet for the Vespin (and all of the Toto toilets) is at their website, so you can look at the requirements for where things need to be. When the rough-in is exact, there's about 3/4" behind the Vespin, so you'll have about 1-1/4". Probably enough room to put on an elbow and route the supply over without a lot of trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks