What the heck is this?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

stillad

Reaction score
Ok, here's what i've got under my kitchen sink (see pic).

photo (2).jpg

I'm installing new countertops with an undermount sink. However, the PVC loop you see in the background (on the right, behind the main drainage line) is going to cause some interference with my new deeper sink.

I can't find anyone who can tell me what this loop does. It looks similar to a yoke vent except that it feeds back into the main line without an "exhaust line" venting outside.

Do i need to keep it? If i lower it on the top end by a few inches is that going to cause me any problems?

Thanks for any help!

PS - I'm on a slab. Don't know if this will make a difference to any recommendations but thought it might be relevant. House was built in '84.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure looks strange to me too. Perhaps one of the pros will be able to shed some light on it. If it was mine, I'd get rid of it. I can't see that it is doing anything except taking up space.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
That's an island vent loop. It's done incorrectly though as far as I can tell.

island_vent.gif

You might want to consider correcting that.
Do you have an accessible wall to run a new vent up through? You may be able to use an AAV but that depends on your local codes.
Your drains for your new sinks will be lower so you are going to have to modify your plumbing anyway.

Last edited:

stillad

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. I suppose it's possible, but given the exceedingly difficult requirements (slab, vent line would have to be run through exterior wall, etc) and that fact that I've not had any drainage problems yet, I'm trying to find another option.

I'll have to look into that AAV thing. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is some handyman's attempt to do a cheap version of a yoke vent. It is completely ineffective most of the time, but will prevent siphonage at the very end of the drain cycle when the pipe is not full of water. Lowering it will not damage its effect because any stoppage is going to be below the "Y" so it will not create a secondary drain path.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It does nothing at all because #1 it's wrong and #2 the trap attached is a S trap which will siphon with or without it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
In are area we are allowed to use studor vents on island sinks. They work very well. It would be installed just above the 2x1-1/2 sanitary tee. The rest of the loop would be eliminated as would the Y below the tee.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is NOT an "S" trap because as long as the vertical pipe is NOT full of water it will have enough air in it to vent the trap through the inverted "U" fittings. Since that condition will occur when the sink is almost finished draining, AND that is also the time when a vent is needed to eliminate siphonage, it will perform its intended task most of the time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
BTW that old disposer is shot!
I guarantee it!
Look inside and I guarantee its toothless.

stillad

Reaction score
...so use an AAV then?

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

With that said, it sounds like the consensus is that i can get rid of the screwy island loop as long as i install an AAV above the sanitary tee.

Am i correct in thinking that?

If so, does it matter how far above the sanitary tee i install the AAV?

Also, what is that thing called that i have instead of an S-trap? Is it an O-trap? Maybe a P-trap? I'm not real familiar with the terminology...

Do i need to replace it with an S-trap? Is it superior or inferior to an S-trap?

Thanks.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
The use of an AAV depends on your local code allowing it. If it is allowed, it should be the last option, as it seems to be for yourself(since you want it easy).

Remember that an AAV has moving parts and is will fail at one point.

You dont want any other trap other than a P-trap. Everything else is either illegal and/or just doesnt look right(like what you have now).

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Alabama approved AAV's. There are 15 states that do not approve the use of AAV's and there is 9 other states that approve them if you clear it with the local code officials.

Also here is my favorite picture of the yoke vent.

Attachments

• loop%20vent.jpg
    loop%20vent.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,022

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

You have a "P" trap connected to a bastardized version of a yoke/loop vent. It will perform better than an air admitance valve, and when drain system problems occur it will have the same problems as an AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks