how far can I pump water

Users who are viewing this thread

stanstolt

Reaction score
I am driving a shallow well about 15 ft. deep and hope to hit water at lake level at 10 ft. This is 20 feet inland from the high water mark of a clear water lake. I have a 40 ft. vertical climb to lift the water to the cabin, It is 400 ft. from the well and never more than a 25 degree slope at any one point with the average slope about 8 degrees. The elevation of the area is about 1200 ft above sea level. What kind of pump will do this? What size pump? Should I use 3/4 in. pipe out of the ground or something larger in diameter?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You would need to set the pump at the well. A shallow well pump can suck from 10' down and push up the 40' and 400' away but, I would use 1" or 1.25" pipe. A shallow well pump cannot suck from 40' up and 400' away, so you can’t put the pump at the house.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
hope to hit water at lake level at 10 ft.
I have a 40 ft. vertical climb to lift the water to the cabin,
400 ft. from the well
What kind of pump will do this? What size pump? Should I use 3/4 in. pipe out of the ground or something larger in diameter?
From
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pe-pipe-pressure-loss-d_619.html
the pipe friction at 10 GPM =~ 72' head, and if you want 30 PSI that's another 70', plus 10' plus 40' = ~200'. Assuming a pump efficiency of 60%,
HP = GPMxHD/(40xEFF)
= 10(200)/(40)(60) = 0.8 hp. Call it 1 hp.

96% of well depths listed on this forum are deeper than 15', with the avg. being 240'. Your odds may not be good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks