I'm having my last wisdom tooth pulled tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I slept well last night. The meds and the booze knocked me out.

I have a little headache now. I don't feel clear enough to do my day job but definitely well enough to do some plumbing or electrical.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmmm...all you need to be is licenced and you would be a duplicate of the guys I follow around and fix all their work...:D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Come on Cass. You guys are always understating my credentials. Unlike many people on this Board I am fully unlicensed to plumb in each and every State, and that includes Puerto Rico and Hawaii too. In fact I can proudly say, and after a great deal of studying, I cannot legally do any remodeling work for anybody other than myself in any country.

In most areas homeowners are allowed to do electrical and plumbing work within their own residences, however the particulars vary from locale to locale. In some locations it can be as simple as obtaining a permit, while others may limit the scope of work that can be performed or even require aptitude testing before a permit can be issued.

Ultimately it is the sole responsibility of the homeowner to learn about and comply with all ordinances relating to DIY work and permits. Some good sources of information would include the local building department, electrical and plumbing inspectors, and, in some cases, the local power/water company's customer service department.

However, obtaining a permit does not automatically make someone qualified to do the work. The National Electrical Code, for example, defines a "qualified person" as one who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved. Jurisdictions are free to use this definition or any other and it is the responsibility of the person doing the work to learn and comply with any requirements in their local jurisdiction.

Using this Forum alone is not enough to make someone qualified to perform remodeling work, however it can be used by novices and beginners as a first step in gaining a better understanding of how household plumbing and electrical systems work. For those with more experience (like Cass), it is a great tool for furthering their knowledge but still is no substitute for real world training and experience. Performing DIY work around the house is a satisfying and rewarding experience but one should always be aware of their limitations and call in a professional licensed contractor if the scope of work exceeds their abilities, and then call in Cass when the forementioned professional licensed contractor messed up and didn't do it right the first time.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Come on Cass. You guys are always understating my credentials. Unlike many people on this Board I am fully unlicensed to plumb in each and every State, and that includes Puerto Rico and Hawaii too. In fact I can proudly say, and after a great deal of studying, I cannot legally do any remodeling work for anybody other than myself in any country.

and, sadly even in Massachusetts you can't even for yourself! Some other states might be the same way, too.

Glad you are feeling up to snuff this morning. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Cookie. I am going to go grocery shopping today. The weather is quite lovely today.

Nate R

Reaction score
Glad I had mine done when I did. They're outta there. I had a similar problem that required jawbone to be ground away. I was in a lot of pain. 6 more crowns to go and I'm done with the major work.

BTW: My insurance covers 50% of major work, and $1500/yr per person. I've been getting 2 crowns a year and paying the out of pocket costs with FSA contributions, so tax free.

I have just had my first glass of red and can feel the area starting to rapidly heal.

But there are so many people out there just like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbPNXCjGch0&feature=related

All half my age.

Why do you Americans do this to your kids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b877XoYNO_o&feature=channel

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It still hurts but is getting better. I am probably on for another week of pain.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know what this guy is whining about...
I got my wisdom teeth pulled and I was back to work a half hour later...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I bet you didn't.

More like the Union gave you the rest of the week off, paid.

Unions are great. They give workers a stronger voice so that they can get a fair share of the economic growth they help create.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I bet you didn't.

More like the Union gave you the rest of the week off, paid.

Unions are great. They give workers a stronger voice so that they can get a fair share of the economic growth they help create.

No Ian...
Here in America we have a strong work/play ethic...
I prefer to work when I don't feel good as it keeps my mind off the pain...
Then one nice day when I feel great, take a sick day cause I'm sick of work...
It's the American Way!:D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And the American dream is having your wisdom teeth out.

I came here looking for it, and that's what I got.

Credit unions are great because they usually have your interests in mind, not just profiting for themselves.

Cookie

Reaction score
I love our credit union. Ian, my auto insurance is also, lowered belonging to them. YES!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Unions are used to connect two lengths of small diameter pipe, and are available in threaded or socket weld. The design of a union allows threaded pipe connections to occur without turning the pipe, as the nuts of the union turn to make the connection.

Cookie

Reaction score
NOUN:

The act of uniting or the state of being united.
A combination so formed, especially an alliance or confederation of people, parties, or political entities for mutual interest or benefit.
Mathematics A set, every member of which is an element of one or another of two or more given sets.
Agreement or harmony resulting from the uniting of individuals; concord.

The state of matrimony; marriage: "The element that was to make possible such a union was trust in each other's love" (Kate Chopin).
****** intercourse.

A combination of parishes for joint administration of relief for the poor in Great Britain.
A workhouse maintained by such a union.
A labor union.
A coupling device for connecting parts, such as pipes or rods.
A device on a flag or ensign, occupying the upper inner corner or the entire field, that signifies the union of two or more sovereignties.
often Union
An organization at a college or university that provides facilities for recreation; a student union.
A building housing such facilities.
Union The United States of America regarded as a national unit, especially during the Civil War.

DANG!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
A union is simply an employee organization—protected by law—where a group of workers joins together to improve and guarantee their wages, benefits and working conditions. A union also gives employees a way to achieve respect and fairness on the job and a stronger voice to impact employer decisions. Without a union, employers have 100% control.

By joining together you will have far more power to make positive changes and gain protections in your workplace than you would alone or with a just a few co-workers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks