I'm having my last wisdom tooth pulled tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In England our wisdom teeth are not pulled until they need to be.

In America, not so. Dentists just love to get 'em out!!

Rather than do it the normal way, I decided to have one tooth pulled every year or so. I'm now down to my last one.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Some of you may have noticed that my posts are not as "wise" as they used to be. Now you know why.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Wuss, you should've gotten them all yanked at the same time. Day or two an it's over, and doesn't mess up other teeth and don't have to worry about it for several years in a row.

I take it you have seen teeth of your countrymen's smile.....
im_just_sayin_t_shirt-p235022254721868145trlf_400.jpg

Cookie

Reaction score
In England our wisdom teeth are not pulled until they need to be.

In America, not so. Dentists just love to get 'em out!!

Rather than do it the normal way, I decided to have one tooth pulled every year or so. I'm now down to my last one.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Some of you may have noticed that my posts are not as "wise" as they used to be. Now you know why.

Wishing you luck, I know you will be fine.

But the reason it is adviseable to remove the wisdom teeth earlier in life is because of the nerves that can grow around the root as one grows older, and cause damage when removed when you are older.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
4 hours to go. I have the painkillers ready.

This is gonna hurt. The ones on the top are fine because nothing falls in when they are out.

But the ones on the bottom (where this last one is) are less pleasant. It took me more than one week to recover last time.

British teeth are so bad because the public option does not cover dental and there are very few insurance options available. So you pay full private cost.

Here my insurance covers $3000 worth of work every year, and covers 80% (I pay 20%).

During my first year in the US I ate through every penny of that $3000 on crowns and bridges.

Just imagine...

I like spending my health insurance because it pushes up your premiums. Thanks.

What do the 47 million (equivalent to the entire population of England) uninsured Americans do for dental?

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
They either have the cash to fix things or they end up looking like this.
teeth.JPG

By the way, googling "bad teeth" (images) brings up waaaayyyy worse than this. Almost enough to turn my stomach in the morning.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I was hoping to do some electrical stuff on the house over the weekend but after this, and given what Mark said, I may not be in a fit state to do any real work.

I'll just have to do some plumbing instead.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Definitely less dangerous if you're hopped up on drugs. Unless you're doing copper.

When I had my teeth yanked I would make a shake, carnation instant breakfast and throw all my pills in. Got the benifit of putting some calories in without eating and definitely made me feel good in about 20 minutes.

Cookie

Reaction score
4 hours to go. I have the painkillers ready.

This is gonna hurt. The ones on the top are fine because nothing falls in when they are out.

But the ones on the bottom (where this last one is) are less pleasant. It took me more than one week to recover last time.

British teeth are so bad because the public option does not cover dental and there are very few insurance options available. So you pay full private cost.

Here my insurance covers $3000 worth of work every year, and covers 80% (I pay 20%).

During my first year in the US I ate through every penny of that $3000 on crowns and bridges.

Just imagine...

I like spending my health insurance because it pushes up your premiums. Thanks.

What do the 47 million (equivalent to the entire population of England) uninsured Americans do for dental?

They go without dental insurance, and so many times without dental care, or make payments. That is why preventative maintance is very important to most. Get your teeth cleaned, brush, floss and pray. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Cass but I am not having that done. My wife nearly had to because some of hers were well below the gum line.

Mine are all above, so it's more of the pliers and less of the knife.

Perhaps this is a good time to ask whether this might be something a DIY could try?

Do these things come out like my windows did: an F150 and a bit of rope?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well I am back and spitting blood. There was a small complication in that the tooth had bonded itself to some bone on the tongue side of my mouth so they had to snap that out with it.

My tongue may be left numb, which will require some more surgery.

Let's just see when the jabs wear off.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Well I am back and spitting blood. There was a small complication in that the tooth had bonded itself to some bone on the tongue side of my mouth so they had to snap that out with it.

My tongue may be left numb, which will require some more surgery.

Let's just see when the jabs wear off.

At least part of it's over for now.
When I had mine yanked, the bottom two were impacted and required breaking and then removal. My dentist told me he could take them out. I asked if he could knock me out, he answered "no". I went to an oral surgeon, got knocked out and then had it done.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Knocked out? You wimp.

I actually said ouch when mine went crack.

I like to be there to supervise. I watch over my plumbers and electricians too.

Just to make sure the job is done right.

It's starting to really hurt now. Just like last time.

I'll crack open a bottle of wine in a few hours. Should help the pain...well when I mix it all up with the painkillers anyway.

Thank God that's all over. It took three years to pull all four.

I would like to get back on the happy gas though. I have not seen that since I was a kid. I think it's banned now in England but I keep seeing bottles of the stuff in the dentists surgery over here. I'll ask next time.

Happy gas is so...happy.

handymom

Reaction score
Wuss, you should've gotten them all yanked at the same time. Day or two an it's over, and doesn't mess up other teeth and don't have to worry about it for several years in a row.

I take it you have seen teeth of your countrymen's smile.....
im_just_sayin_t_shirt-p235022254721868145trlf_400.jpg

Is it the pain of the pull or of the bill that is the reason for the delayed approach?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So many questions and things to respond to I have had to open a new bloody window.

But at least I can type, my speech is currently impaired i.e. I sound like an American.:)

I will start on the wine Mark but then mix it up a little. After the red, I'll move on to Miller Genuine Draft (America's Best Beer) and perhaps then the Daniels and the Bean.

The delayed approach was used largely for fear of the pull and to minimize disruption at work. The bill I have not paid yet since the receptionist was not there on my exit so I made a quick escape. You call it stealing...I call it the "Public Option".

Tylenol with codeine sounds nice. I currently have 800mg ibuprofen which I am currently on and then some Hydrocodone for later.

All of this and I could still solder a joint.

The extraction site is a real mess. I can see white bone, blood clots and stitches.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks