Leaking Waste Drain Stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke76

Reaction score
I've been trying to locate a leak that originates in the attic when it rains. I finally found the problem. The waste drain stack comes out of an interior wall, runs horizontally for about 20 feet, then turns vertical again up through the roof. The problem is that the horizontal run is slightly sloped away from the interior wall. Rain enters the vertical and has no where to go. The pipe is leaking from the joint of the 90 degree ewhere it connects to the vertical pipe.

Can I simply raise the horizontal pipe with a piece of wood so that it drains back to the drain system ?

I assume it would be better to replace the leaking elbow but there is no flooring, lots of insulation, and tight work space so I would rather not get that involved.

The vertical pipe seems to be loose at the top where it goes through the roof. From outside the house the pipe is metal so I assume there is some sort of a fitting. Is it supposed to be loose ?

Thank you for your help.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This sounds horrible. I doubt the elbow is leaking but that the flashing for the stack has deteriorated (or is missing) from the roof. Are you sure rain is not dripping down the outside of the pipe?

Duke76

Reaction score
I just checked it again. There is no sign of leaking at the roof. No water stains. The vertical pipe is not wet. It only leaks when it rains really, really hard. That makes it really hard to track down.

Normally there is only air in this pipe so that's why I thought I could change the slope slightly.

Diane Palmer

Reaction score
So... what is the remedy for this? I lately have the same exact problem. Short of tearing up the floor above where pipe passes through to basement ceiling? Or is that the next step? I have had the roof checked. The water that drips around pipe is clear , not waste.

Last edited:

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Remove the 90. Fix the slope on the horizontal run so that the water drains back to the stack. Shorten the vertical piece that protrudes the roof, then reinstall the 90.

Don't like uncomfortable work environments? Call a plumber, we eat tight spaces for breakfast. Sounds like a 2-hour job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks