5/8 water meter connection

Users who are viewing this thread

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain the connection to a 5/8 water meter. Right now the previous owner has 1/2" copper supply lines coming off the meter in the house. I want to run 3/4 copper supply off the meter to supply a manabloc,then Im running pex direct to each fixture.Im sure I should benefit from using 3/4 as to the current 1/2" thats coming off the meter. I have galvinized pipe that comes into the house and connects to the bottom of the meter...then 1/2 supply line coming out feeding everything. So is there fittings to transition to the top of the meter to connect 3/4 copper? The city says most homes where I live have 5/8 meters in the house. Could anyone just clear my head on this?? Im hearing that 3/4 supply line is mostly desired as opposed to 1/2.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The meter spud where you connect to is 3/4 IPS thread. All you need is a 3/4 female fitting for the type pipe you will be using.

John

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
The meter spud where you connect to is 3/4 IPS thread. All you need is a 3/4 female fitting for the type pipe you will be using.

John

The fitting you refer to...is this the one that threads onto the meter itself?
Reason I ask, is I think I would like to replace right to the meter. I want to solder a new 3/4 supply line, and be able to thread the nut onto the meter, as the old one is pretty grimy and currently reduced and soldered to 1/2 copper supply.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the adapter you will use threads directly into the meter, it's 5/8" to 3/4". A couple of things you should know is that the 3/4" copper should be type K which is heavier than the types L or M, and is supposed to be brazed rather than soldered. I suspect you will have to hire someone to braze the joints, but if you do the trenching and have everything ready, it should not cost more than one arm and half a leg:D Also, most cities prohibit homeowners from turning off their water at the meter, but they usually will do it for you at no cost.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Brazing is only required if it is buried...assuming the meter is accessible and not buried, soldering is fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks