Shroud around flush valve???

Users who are viewing this thread

jafriede

Reaction score
The Gerber toilets in my new 1997 house have a shroud in the tank surrounding the flush valve. It basically looks like a coffee can. When you flush, the water on the inside of the "can" goes down through the flush valve and the water outside seems to just stay there. I have never seen anything like this before.

The toilets clog quite easily and I'm wondering if these are OEM or just some add-on the previous owners did to cut the flush volume down?

Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is OEM. That was Gerbers first attempt at 1.6 gal. flush. The toilet never did have a good flush. As far as the new Gerber toilets they still don't flush. They have always been a secondary line.

John

jafriede

Reaction score
That is OEM. That was Gerbers first attempt at 1.6 gal. flush. The toilet never did have a good flush. As far as the new Gerber toilets they still don't flush. They have always been a secondary line.

John

Thanks for the info. Can it be removed and a standard flush valve be put in?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the info. Can it be removed and a standard flush valve be put in?

You can, but if you flush with more water and the bowl plugs, you will have a large mess.

The trapway on the Gerber is horrible.
Gerber Aquasaver, 150 MaP grams

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a Gerber Aquasaver installed for just two weeks while I was testing it.

Not a good idea to keep them.
They plug very easily.

Replacing with the Toto was so much better.

Every once in a while, I need to see how the other half lives though.
Otherwise it would be TOTO all the time.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks