AC Wiring for Rinnai R94LSe

Users who are viewing this thread

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
My Rinnai R94LSe has two electrical connectors on the bottom, one is a ~1" diameter white threaded plastic connector for the remote, the other is a ~1/2" black rubber grommet - I assume for the 120VAC.

The black grommet will not provide any protection from the AC line pulling out and causing damage or shock. I though the hole in the chassis should be connected to with a 1/2" flex conduit, or at least a romex clamp to hold the cable tight. BUT its not a 1/2" connector - its just shy - I was unable to get a 1/2" connector in the hole.

How have you seen this done? Thanks for your advice!

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
There is a 1-hole screwed clamp inside to secure the romex or cord.

I saw that clamp - it just seems to be a pretty light weight system for securing a 120V cable. My folks have a Rinnai and their installer routed flex conduit directly into the chassis, but this chassis doesn't seem to support that.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes I know, it was designed for a 3-prong line cord, which is an acceptable disconnect in most places.
I don't know that for $3.00 they just dont put the cord and plug on the units?
Except that they are cheap
But I just read that Rinnai-Japan (parent) sent Rinnia-US 10 million dollars for operations capital (bailout) so things can't be good.

MacMikey

Macintosh Computer Consultant/Tech
Reaction score
Mine (Rennai R94LSi) came with the power cord attached and we have it on a dedicated 20amp breaker.

No issues with holding it in place, seems very secure. Can't imaging it coming out of there unless vibration is really bad or it is in a plcae where anything can come in contact and possibly yank on it.

Scott D. Plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.profitableplumbing.com
Yes I know, it was designed for a 3-prong line cord, which is an acceptable disconnect in most places.
But I just read that Rinnai-Japan (parent) sent Rinnia-US 10 million dollars for operations capital (bailout) so things can't be good.

If you are Takagi or Noritz, you might call it a "bailout" because they can't get any. For Rinnai it's called Marketing Funds. Ever hear any other lines on talk radio or XM? THat stuff is expensive. Rinnai knows what works. I think that is a big reason why Rinnai is a larger company in the US by a long shot in sales. Takagi got here first and they are #3. Noritz overtook them in their 3rd year if I remember correctly to take #2 spot.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are Takagi or Noritz, you might call it a "bailout" because they can't get any. For Rinnai it's called Marketing Funds. Ever hear any other lines on talk radio or XM? THat stuff is expensive. Rinnai knows what works. I think that is a big reason why Rinnai is a larger company in the US by a long shot in sales. Takagi got here first and they are #3. Noritz overtook them in their 3rd year if I remember correctly to take #2 spot.

It was a loan for capital operations, I wouldn't call that marketing funds.

Your close, Navien actually overtook Takagi earlier this year and are now flip-flopping with Noritz for #2

Rinnai's big advantage is the heater and fireplace lines boosting sales.

They may advertise alot, but check the reports, they are not profitable.

Last edited:

crethisht

Reaction score
It is possible the pressure is dropping too low when multiple devices are on at the same time, say stove, WH, dryer, furnace.

AAnderson

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could you quote your source?

AAnderson

In the Trades
Reaction score
My Rinnai R94LSe has two electrical connectors on the bottom, one is a ~1" diameter white threaded plastic connector for the remote, the other is a ~1/2" black rubber grommet - I assume for the 120VAC.

The black grommet will not provide any protection from the AC line pulling out and causing damage or shock. I though the hole in the chassis should be connected to with a 1/2" flex conduit, or at least a romex clamp to hold the cable tight. BUT its not a 1/2" connector - its just shy - I was unable to get a 1/2" connector in the hole.

How have you seen this done? Thanks for your advice!
You have three openings, one for power and Rinnai's only draw< 3 amps BTW, the other is for the contoller using a single pair 18 AWG and the last more like a grommet, is the access for the poteniometer used to adjust for low fire that electrician always manage to mangle.
If you are going to do an exterior installation, use liquid tite flex and fittings and a NEMA 3 rated disconnect switch not a 3 pronged pigtail..

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anderson-
Numerous trade magazines, August editions

-Plumbing Engineer, The Wholesaler, Contractor Magazine

Rinnai-Japan called it- "10 million dollar capital investment into their North America subsidiary".
That wasn't to build a factory, but to give them working cash. Anyone paying attention to all the recent rep changes? Cutting commissions lowering commissions and demanding more sales in a downturn economy, is a sure sign of their fiscal condition.

Tankless companies in the US all operate as a subsidiary, but as a stand alone profit center, buying and reselling the product.

IMO, they dumped their product for too long into a small market that hadn't grasped tankless yet in an attempt to grow market share and get to and hold being #1. Now with the downturn of the economy, less pieces being sold, more competition, a ethnocentric attitude, opened too many distributors, lowered buying requirements, dropped prices, it has come back to bite them.

One thing they finally did right, is put an American in charge that knows and understands the US, market conditions and US contracting.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks