(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto SS204 Seat reviews?

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Default Toto SS204 Seat reviews?

Hi-

I've got an Eco-Drake elongated, standard height on order but haven't decided on a seat for it. In a recent thread the Toto SS204 was recommended/shown as a soft close alternative to the standard Toto soft close. I have some experience with the standard Toto seat at my in-laws and don't like the funnel like contour of the seat itself. (And much more importantly, the spouse objected to it...I haven't been married this long without learning to listen carefully to such input.)

What are your thoughts/reviews of the SS204 seat? Is it a good conventional seat choice but with soft close? Any regrets? I realize the price is a stretch.

Thanks!

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    don't like the funnel like contour of the seat itself.
    The SS204 has the same contour as the SS114 not exactly but you will still feel the same, if you want a flatter version you can get the SS214.

Thanks for the info.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm not keen on the look of the SS214. Might have to settle for Bemis or some other standard design. At least it won't be expensive.

I wish Toto had some sort of comparitive images of the contour cross sections of their toilet seats. I've not seen them at suppliers so they really need to improve their online presentation.

I looked again and the SS204 is flatter than the SS114 it's hard to see but here's a picture of the two.

Name:  SS204 SS114.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  26.4 KB

SS204 on the Left & SS114 on the Right

Here is the SS114 on the Left and the SS224 on the right and this is much flatter and kind of looks like a SS154 Traditional seat.

Name:  SS114 SS224.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  29.9 KB

and here is all three together

Name:  SS204 SS114 SS224.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  30.8 KB

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We sell a lot, I mean tons of the SS114 with the curve.
    763 of the SS113/SS114 in the last year.

And 75 of the Church 540 and Church 585 seats that are flat.
    Not too many people like the flat seats.

So many previous customers come back and want the seat again.
    I laugh everytime someone gets the flat style.
    Flat is not good.

I sold 22 of the SS204 seats last year

The Toto softclose seat is the one that customers have been buying the most of.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I wonder if people that use the flat(er) ones are those that tend to have more skid marks. The curved one tends to center your butt over the water spot. If you crowd the front of the toilet, it won't be as comfortable, and you'll miss that spot, requiring manual cleaning of the toilet.

My doctor told me try to never sit longer than 3-minutes as the pressure and straining can create hemorrhoids. So, the long-term comfort isn't that big a deal.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    My doctor told me try to never sit longer than 3-minutes as the pressure and straining can create hemorrhoids. So, the long-term comfort isn't that big a deal.
    Who has to strain to take a dump? Something is wrong with a person's plumbing, diet and/or excercise level if it takes that much work to get it out.

On a related note, I actually find the ADA height to be somewhat counterproductive to proper positioning for taking care of business. So perhaps that is why some like the funnel--it might correct some of the problem of the additional height. I'm not going ADA height for my master bath toilet. With all the stairs we have that particular toilet is the least of the worries for those with limited mobility/flexibility. I will probably put an ADA height on the main level through.

Are the skidmarks noted in a few Toto comments predominantly in the front? Or rear of the bowl? With the 1994 Gerbers (~150 MaP for the optimistic) skid marks are at the back, not the front of the bowl.

Thanks for the pics and info, folks. The end was somewhat anti-climactic: I found an inexpensive Westport that I liked in one of the big box stores. I'll try it for awhile to see if I want to transition to something else.

Once again I had to install a spacer ring since the contractor who did the tile work didn't raise the flange and instead had used a jumbo wax ring. While that had been working on this toilet, the other leaked with the same arrangement. This delayed the toilet install until I could catch the supply house open with the Sioux Chief ring I needed.