Tub replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm replacing an alcove tub/shower. I've already demo'd the old, squared and plumbed the walls in prep for the tile setup as well as replaced the valve.

I was hoping to find a new tub with the same demensions as the one I removed but am not having any luck. I wanted to do this so I could use the same drain setup.

how would the pros go about installing a new tub and setting up the drain to match? the current drain was set and concrete poured around it(probably for support?) see pictures. should concrete be set around the drain??

My first thought would be to try measuring to set the drain and then cut a access panel in the wall to connect the overflow.

ideas??

thanks
Scott

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,295
  • drain2.jpg
    drain2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,181

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will have a better chance winning the Irish Sweepstakes than finding a match...even if the spec. sheet matches odds are the tub won't...

You should bust out the concrete and remove the old trap then install the tub and reinstall a new trap and tub drain from and throuigh the wall behind the tub...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I, and most experienced plumbers, would break the concrete and remove the drain assembly, not the trap. Then assemble the new drain on the tub, measure where it goes, then take it off the tub, and assemble it to the existing trap riser. Once that is done, the tub is set over it, and if everythign was measured correctly it will be in place to insert and tighten the drain and overflow trim pieces. It is a rare tub where we have the luxury of installing the tub and then being able to fit the drain to it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is glued ABS and it is very likely to be glued into the trap...

That is why I would likely remove and reinstall a new trap also...

Last edited:

Scott99

Reaction score
I was afraid you guys were going to say that:) probaby why I've been puttin it off for so long.

so if all goes well do I fill the hole back up with concrete after the tub is installed?

thanks for the input.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I was afraid you guys were going to say that:) probaby why I've been puttin it off for so long.

so if all goes well do I fill the hole back up with concrete after the tub is installed?

thanks for the input.

The concrete should go back. This it to prevent termites from entering the home through the opening in the slab.

John

Top Dogs

Reaction score
Help needed with tub installation!

I too am installing an American standard model 2425 whirlpool tub. The size is 60x32. 1- Can anyone tell me how much morter I should have on hand for this installation and how to set the tub in the morter so it ends up correct? 2- The spec sheet says the drain center must be 10 1/2" from the front wall stud and 16" from the side wall stud. If I install the drain at this location will I still have to dry fit the tub to see if everything lines up, then remove it and fill the hole with cement and then reset the tub using the morter this time, or will the piping and drain location be good if the measurements are accurate and I only set it once? 3- The existing 2" piping comes in at an angle and the trap is all glued together. The old shower drain was 4 1/2" from the front stud and 15" from the side stud. I will have to locate the new drain 10 1/2" from the front wall stud and 16" from the side wall stud. I guess I will have to cut off the old trap and put in a new one in order to get everything in the right location. Is there a trick to getting the drain to end up in the right spot? Any tips that might make this easier are apreciated. I already chipped out the hole per the directions with the tub. Thanks for any help. Sorry the

Last edited:

Scott99

Reaction score
should I use mortor mix or concrete mix to fill the hole after I replace the drain?

Scott99

Reaction score
okay, so about 2 hours of chipping away concrete I can see the drain and trap that I need to remove. looks like I don't have an option of changing just the drain as there is no riser showing in order to couple a new drain to.

look like from the trap there is a 2 to 1.5 reducer coupling that the drain attaches to.

so the plan is to cut the trap out at the main pipe and replace all. is that a standard config to have which looks to be a 2 inch main and a 2 inch trap, then the reducer to 1.5 for the riser? or should I look for a 1.5 inch trap?

it also looks like there is carpet padding wrapped around the pipe and trap, I'm assuming that is for movement and I should do the same with the new setup before I fill the hole with cement?

Attachments

• DSCN3640.jpg
    DSCN3640.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 905

Scott99

Reaction score
ABS glue

question on ABS cleaner:

can you use the cleaner on the pipe and wait a period of time before you actually use the ABS glue and attached the pieces? or do you need to apply cleaner then glue in one step?

it seems the cleaner is also a solvent that melts the pipe when applied.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure about abs, but on pvc, you shouldn't wait too long after you use the cleaner before you add the cement and join the pieces. Have you read the instructions on the cans?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you are using new pipe & fittings cleaner is not needed on ABS.

John

Scott99

Reaction score
trap size

It doesn't say on the cleaner jar if you can wait or not. I was just asking as I recall last time I used the cleaner it was almost like using the glue. definitely can tell the difference between ABS cleaner and PVC cleaner..

anyway on my trap, should I go with a 2inch trap and then a reducer coupler for the 1.5 inch riser, or use the reducer coupler off the 2inch main and go with a 1.5inch trap? does it matter?

Scott99

Reaction score
thanks Cass.

Just curious as to why they had a 2" trap with 1.5" riser originally?

also when I put the new trap in should I wrap it with carpet pad(as it was) or someother type foam for isolation before filling with cement?

I found a some Oatey closest spacer foam that could easily do the trick.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't know the original was 2"...2" is normaly for showers and 1.5" for tub shower combo...a lot of slabs leave the hole open in this area incase they want to change the Trip Waste on the tub...

Scott99

Reaction score
I'm going to leave it as a tub/shower combo, so now I just need to decide on 2" or 1.5" trap, I have both. any advantage to leaving the trap at 2" with a 1.5" riser?

if I swap it out with a 1.5" it will give me a little more room to work with without having to chip out more concrete.

Scott99

Reaction score
glue?? what steps?

okay I need to get a crackin on this, been putting it off long enough..

I chipped out the old trap as posted above, and cut out the old trap.
I have the new tub in place and have created a few access panels, but there is not much for access as you can see.

I chipped down to about 12" and didn't seem to hit dirt so I don't know if I'm going to fill it back in with cement or not. The 2" main has carpet pad wrapped around it so I don't know if that is a way for insects to enter or not..
any advice?

the old drain was glued ABS. I'd like to redo the same but not sure what the best steps are as far as assemble so I get everything lined up? I don't think I can do it with tub in place.

is a trap with unions a good option for this?

Attachments

• DSCN3643.jpg
    DSCN3643.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 586
  • DSCN3645.jpg
    DSCN3645.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 541
  • DSCN3646.jpg
    DSCN3646.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 544

Scott99

Reaction score
pics with tub removed.

Attachments

• DSCN3648.jpg
    DSCN3648.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCN3649.jpg
    DSCN3649.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 539
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks