(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tub replacement

Hybrid View

Default Tub replacement

Greetings,

I'm replacing an alcove tub/shower. I've already demo'd the old, squared and plumbed the walls in prep for the tile setup as well as replaced the valve.

I was hoping to find a new tub with the same demensions as the one I removed but am not having any luck. I wanted to do this so I could use the same drain setup.

how would the pros go about installing a new tub and setting up the drain to match? the current drain was set and concrete poured around it(probably for support?) see pictures. should concrete be set around the drain??

My first thought would be to try measuring to set the drain and then cut a access panel in the wall to connect the overflow.

ideas??

thanks
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Thanks,
    Scott

You will have a better chance winning the Irish Sweepstakes than finding a match...even if the spec. sheet matches odds are the tub won't...

You should bust out the concrete and remove the old trap then install the tub and reinstall a new trap and tub drain from and throuigh the wall behind the tub...

Default drain

I, and most experienced plumbers, would break the concrete and remove the drain assembly, not the trap. Then assemble the new drain on the tub, measure where it goes, then take it off the tub, and assemble it to the existing trap riser. Once that is done, the tub is set over it, and if everythign was measured correctly it will be in place to insert and tighten the drain and overflow trim pieces. It is a rare tub where we have the luxury of installing the tub and then being able to fit the drain to it.

That is glued ABS and it is very likely to be glued into the trap...

That is why I would likely remove and reinstall a new trap also...
    Last edited by Cass; 09-15-2009 at 06:42 AM.

I was afraid you guys were going to say that probaby why I've been puttin it off for so long.

so if all goes well do I fill the hole back up with concrete after the tub is installed?

thanks for the input.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
    I was afraid you guys were going to say that probaby why I've been puttin it off for so long.

so if all goes well do I fill the hole back up with concrete after the tub is installed?

thanks for the input.
    The concrete should go back. This it to prevent termites from entering the home through the opening in the slab.

John