Toilet Valve Running with not Fill Valve Leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

tombstone

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I've been trying to fix a problem that recently showed up with my American Standard Cadet 3 toilet.

My office is right across from the bathroom and I will intermittenly hear the sound of the fill valve letting water into the tank. It's not as loud as when the fill valve normally opens and closes and typically last a second or so. Every time I try to get into the bathroom to further explore the noise has passed.

I noticed that water level was too high and thought maybe the noise I was hearing was the water exiting via the overflow tube. I replaced the flap and the noise still continued.

I placed some die in the tank and let it set for a few hours and none of the die made it into the tank. I double checked the seat to make sure it was clean and clear of anything that would not allow the flapper to seat properly.

The float has to drop so far prior to the fill valve opening that I have a hard time believing it is the fill valve.

Can the fill valve turn on without the float dropping?

The fill valve is a Fluidmaster 400A.

Thanks for any and all help!

Jeff

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

It CANNOT turn on unless the water level drops, either because of a bad flapper or refill tube siphonage, and any other leak would be constant, not just occasionally.

tombstone

Reaction score
I've replaced the flapper with a suitable Korky replacement and cleaned the seat. The refill tube seems to be seated properly in the overflow tube.

I dye tested the tank and so no visible discoloration in the bowl water. If the overflow tube would be cracked I'm assuming the water would still go in the bowl. Is that correct?

I'm at a loss and it's very annoying.

Thanks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have replaced flappers and cleaned the seat and they still leaked because I missed something on the seat...

check the seat again, check the chain, ans be sure the flapper is the right on for the toilet...

tombstone

Reaction score
I'll recheck all that when I get home. I did use a scotchbrite pad and go around the rim of the fill valve. As I mentioned, the flapper is a Korky brand. The only other one that I could find at the big box store was a Fluidmaster.

I'll also do another dye test and let it sit longer.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks