Adding Storage Tank To System?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
My well goes to presure tank and out to home. I want to add a 3000 gal storage tank Because I have a LOW YEIL well. Question is I do Not Know How to which float switches I need to stop well from pumping or get it started when low, plus how to wire the floats to th system. I will use a cycle timer to run the pump for 5 minuets and off 1 hour. PLEASE any Help, Thanks Fred

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
You will need a 2 pole contactor. The float in the storage tank will control the contactor, and the power from the contactor will control the timer.

If the float says its time to fill the tank, it will turn the timer on and let the pump run for your set time limit, and will continue to cycle through your set times until the float says the tank is full.

Travis

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The timer I suggested is electrical with a 15 to 40 amp breaker.

Controlling the power to an electric timer won't allow the timer to work well. So Travis, are you suggesting a mechanical timer?

IMO if the well pump has a pressure tank and switch, a float valve on the end of the tank fill pipe, no wiring required, will be the simplest way to control the well pump. If the float valve is open when the timer turns on the power to the pump, and the pressure switch is closed, meaning the float valve is open causing the pressure to fall, the pump runs the 5 minutes (as in the example given) or stops when the float valve closes and the pressure rises to open the pressure switch.

BTW, I think 5 minutes on and 60 minutes off is a bit different than actual use will be.

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
Controlling the power to an electric timer won't allow the timer to work well. So Travis, are you suggesting a mechanical timer?

Yes,a mechanical timer. I should had worded that part a little better.

You will need a booster pump to pressure the tank.
The pressure switch should control the booster, not the sub.

If the sub is used to fill the storage tank, there is nothing to give pressure in times of need or peek demand.

With the float controlling the contactor, sub, and timer. That should keep the storage tank full.

With the booster pulling water from the storage tank, being controlled by the pressure switch, to the pressure tank, you should always have pressure.

It's a little costly this way, but I think it is a better/safer way to go with a low producing well.

Travis

Last edited:

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
I can now run the well system only 24 minuets till the water stops comeing out the hose. My thinking is to run open water line from well to tank, also using a timer to regulate running time of well to keep from running the well empty all the time and causing damage to well and pump.( I just don't know how to get the well to stop pumping water after it gets full or when it get empty to start again, timer will allways but well will not run till low or full is what I am trying to find.
I want to pull from storage tank to pressure tank with pump and go to home (ie) use storae tank instead of well.
I run out of water 4 = 5 times day now.
I have 3000 gal storage tank in place and lines ran from well house to tank.
I will still need to purchase a 3/4 or 1 hp pump and cycle timer and float switches.

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
OK how about this, I have a QD Pumptec with 3-9-12-30 minuets and 1 - 1.5 hours and Manual Reset. I I just let the Pumptec do the timeing of the water and add a Float switch to the storage tank where do I wire it to (control Box) or ? I do not understand where to wire it to ?

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
That looks ok, but you still need to wire the timer into that.
Where your drawing says relay, that can also be the contactor (That needs to be able to handle around 15 to 20 amps)
That is why I suggested a mechanical 1 hour timer.(they can be set in seconds to 5 min or what ever you may need for your wells production)
Even if it cuts power to the timer, when it comes back on, no harm done, no time lost, and nothing to reset.

This is just the way I would do it. There may be better ideas out there.

Travis

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here are a couple of drawings that might help.

Attachments

• Sub Cistern Booster.jpg
    Sub Cistern Booster.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Sub Cistern Sub Booster.jpg
    Sub Cistern Sub Booster.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,648

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hi Fred
You don’t want to use a regular timer. It will not shut the pump off when the well is dry. If you set a timer for 10 minutes and the well pumps dry in 5, you are going to ruin the pump. You need a Dry Well protection relay like the Cycle Sensor, it has a restart timer built in.
Cary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks