Acrylic Bathtub Crack

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a bathroom reno. I completed the tub installation about a week ago when a nasty cold kept me from installing the ceramic tile surround - good thing because today I noticed a 4 inch long crack. It appears to radiate from the overflow (but stops short of the overflow by about an inch) downwards on a 45 degree angle. There are no chips or impact marks and the edges of the crack are clean. The ends of the crack are barely discernible, but about 2 1/2 inches at the center the crack is very distinct.

The tub is an acrylic tub by Mirolin Canada (Masco Co). I followed the instructions carefully. I did not use a mortar bed because (1) mfr did not call for it, and (2) the 2 1/2 inch legs would have made this quite a feat. I can say with confidence that the crack was not visible at the time I installed the tub. The tub has been used a half dozen times - the heaviest user is 200 lbs. There have been no impacts against the tub.

Questions:
1. I'm assuming the tub will have to be replaced?
2. I'm assuming this must be a manufacturing defect. Does this happen often? Is i reasonable to expect that a replacement will not crack again, or should I be looking at a different material/ manufacturer?
3. Is it reasonable to ask the supplier (bathroom specialty store with installers) to remove and re-install the replacement tub? It doesn't seem right that I should have to install two bathtubs because of a manufacturers fault.

Thanks,
Steve

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
The story worked quickly with the manufacturer to get a replacement. Nobody has offered any reasonable explanation as to how this crack might have developed. I guess I have to let bygones be bygones and hope for the best in this new tub.

Would you reuse the rubber overflow and drain gaskets?

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks