New kitchen sink, questions about drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

dutzig

Reaction score
Novice speaking - Purchased and started install of new sink, disposal, faucet. The new sink is deeper than the original. After getting some things in place, there are two issues (maybe more) that I do not know how best to resolve - with the main question being is this DIY work?

1. Drain line going into the wall is at the same level as the disposal discharge tube (see image 1). The drain line going into the wall is about 15" from the cabinet floor to center, and the cabinet floor is about 5" above the finished kitchen floor.

2. The left strainer basket is directly over the slip joint, so I can't just simply put the p-trap back in (see image 2).

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 593
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 412

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Novice speaking ... is this DIY work?

Having gone as far as you have, I would guess you can "git 'er done!"

1. Drain line going into the wall is at the same level as the disposal discharge tube (see image 1).

Your disposer might have a little water always standing in it, but I do not know whether that is actually a problem.

2. The left strainer basket is directly over the slip joint, so I can't just simply put the p-trap back in (see image 2).

A couple of 45s or even short-turn 90s (possibly streets, or one of each) might let you put the trap back in place on the drain line, then jog back over and up to the strainer basket. To do that, you can purchase a tailpiece and adapter to go into the first fitting under the strainer, then a short piece of pipe can go down into the trap. And if you cannot get all of that in there, you will likely end up opening the wall and lowering the fitting coming out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The extension you will need to piece together on the disposal side will be more easily accomplished with glue up pipe than slip joint tubular, but no matter now you do it, you will have a deep trap and it will drain slowly.

Although is seems like a lot of work, you will be better off in the end if you open the wall and lower the san tee .

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The proper way is to lower the TY in the wall. The easy way is to reverse the bowl of the trap so the shorter end is on the disposal. This will work with most traps. There are some traps that do not have enough slip on the lower end of the bowl to do this. But if you look around I'm sure you can find one.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

A double Y rather than the single one you have would have made the left hand connection easier, and you will probably still have to find one and use it. There are NO traps that make a good connection when reversed. They have to be installed in such a way that there is tension on them so the tailpiece cannot come out of it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
A double Y rather than the single one you have would have made the left hand connection easier, and you will probably still have to find one and use it. There are NO traps that make a good connection when reversed. They have to be installed in such a way that there is tension on them so the tailpiece cannot come out of it.

In my area they have traps with a slip on the lower half of the bowl that is as deep as the tees on any end or center outlet waste.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks