Delta VS Moen shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Joegambler

Reaction score
Hi,
All over the forums and internet the pros recommend Delta #1 in shower valves for ease of repair,finding parts years down the road and durability and Moen #2.When I was in Lowes I opened the most expensive Delta that fit my requirements(chrome,single handle shower only valve) and the valve body was all plastic.I opened the cheapest Moen and the valve body was brass.That would lean my decision towards Moen.Am I missing something?
P.S. I heard that the Moen Posi-temp is a bitch to repair,if Moen is the better choice should I look for one without Posi-Temp?
Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How easily a Moen repairs can depend a lot on the hardness of the water.
Here I spend a lot of time polishing the metal making it look new.
But only because the repair is ridiculously easy most of the time.

Joegambler

Reaction score
Redwood reply

Thanks for quick post,but I don't understand your answer.What I mean by durability is that it shouldn't start to leak ever.If it does start to leak what I mean about ease of repair is a single cartridge to change and what I mean about finding parts if being able to find that cartridge 10-20 years down the road.Based on that do you recommend Delta or Moen.And if Delta is suppose to be so good why is the valve body all plastic instead of brass?Also what negative experience have you had with Moen Posi-Temp Valves?P.S. Yes I'm in a hard water area.Thanks.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I much prefer the solid brass valves that Moen uses, and repair parts will always be available and straightforward to replace. However Deltas are just as good and most of their tub/shower line is nicer looking that Moen's.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Hi,
All over the forums and internet the pros recommend Delta #1 in shower valves for ease of repair,finding parts years down the road and durability and Moen #2.When I was in Lowes I opened the most expensive Delta that fit my requirements(chrome,single handle shower only valve) and the valve body was all plastic.I opened the cheapest Moen and the valve body was brass.That would lean my decision towards Moen.Am I missing something?
P.S. I heard that the Moen Posi-temp is a bitch to repair,if Moen is the better choice should I look for one without Posi-Temp?
Thanks.

Delta has just changed there faucets to all plastic because of some more new regulations to protect use from our self. Brass faucets have lead in them. This started in California and will soon be required in most states. Delta is just ahead of Moen. In my opinion Moen was a good faucet at one time but they have maid some changes that I feel have cheapened there line of faucets.

John

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Moen is Junk

moen can be mean to repair, Ihav e been in tears before thinking I was just gonna change out a simple positemp cartridge...basically throwing off my whole day over some stupid crummey cartridge......

Delta is a better choice, they usually wont be a problem to get apart and they usually never bring me to tears...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I will need to take a closer look because I am not aware that Delta has changed the R10000 body to plastic. Kitchen and lav faucets are going to ultra low lead, which will see more plastic. I don't think showers have to be ultra. Have to check on that.

Since California represents over 10% of the US population, our laws often drive national marketing and engineering decisions. But we don't have mosquitos, hurricanes, tornados, or floods. SO COME ON DOWN!!

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
that is the rumor

I will need to take a closer look because I am not aware that Delta has changed the R10000 body to plastic. Kitchen and lav faucets are going to ultra low lead, which will see more plastic. I don't think showers have to be ultra. Have to check on that.

Since California represents over 10% of the US population, our laws often drive national marketing and engineering decisions. But we don't have mosquitos, hurricanes, tornados, or floods. SO COME ON DOWN!!

that is what is in the pipeline for the future of delta
I think by 2012....its supposed to be completed...

I trust that they will make something that will
be of the same high quality as their present stuff

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you ever seen ANYTHING that was converted from brass to plastic and it was BETTER?

And on top of that, have you seen anything made junkier to meet government specs, and it became LESS expensive????

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Have you ever seen ANYTHING that was converted from brass to plastic and it was BETTER?

Yes, at one time we used DVW copper for waste & vent piping. In most areas it lasted for 15 to 20 years. I think you will agree that PVC plastic is much better.

John

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
you might be right

you might be right, I dont know..wait and see

I trust Delta becasue they have never let me down yet, and plastic does seem like a crappy path to go down...

of course they said that back in the 60s when
pvc pipe came out and the copper industry went
nuts trying to keep their share of the dwv market ...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I find that with Delta valves I rarely have to use this tool for fine adjustments :D

Attachments

• sledge-hammer.jpg
    sledge-hammer.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3,490

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hi,
Thanks.

Show us the picture of this "all plastic" faucet you're speaking of.

I asked this of you on Ridgid's Plumbing forum and never got a response.

I along with others need to see this Delta plastic valve you speak of, because it's unheard of.

It states you're online right now so we'll expect a response, soon.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
are you talking to me Rugged??

Show us the picture of this "all plastic" faucet you're speaking of.

I asked this of you on Ridgid's Plumbing forum and never got a response.

I along with others need to see this Delta plastic valve you speak of, because it's unheard of.

It states you're online right now so we'll expect a response, soon.

I heard about this from my plumbing supplier...
its all in the research and develoment phase

from what I was told.....

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
we will get over it

And us plumbers are the last to know?

This is unbelievable.

I guess they're going to push this through so we don't know...

you know as well as me it is becasue of california
and all their regulations

my salesman is usually right on about this stuff,
but he was not too thrilled either...becasue he is
going to have to go around and explain it all
to fellows like yourself

I dont think its going to be as bas as you fear
I do trust Delta to make a good product,,,
as long as it is made in Indiana, we will be all right

and I got plenty of 1700s and 1300s left on my shelves... probably will never go through them all:D

Joegambler

Reaction score
Reply to Dunbar

Hi Dunbar,
No need to get all crazy on me,I'm not ignoring you.I just posted on several forums and I'm taking it all in.The shower is all demolished,but I'm not at the stage yet of buying the shower valve.Just doing research,that's why I haven't been back to Lowes yet.I'm pretty sure on what I saw,but I'll for sure take another look and post my reply when I do.And I'll either say I was wrong or I'll explain why I thing the shower valves at Lowes or HD may be different from what you are used to.No need to post a picture,I'm hoping my word will be good here since I haven't proven otherwise.
Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I called Delta and was told that right now there wasn't any Delta Shower valve bodys that were not brass...so unless the person I talked to was wrong then there are none...

Just FYI

We all know that there have been all plastic lav faucets for years...

Joegambler

Reaction score
Moen mistake

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice.Since I didn't have time yet to go back to Lowes,I called Delta and asked if the particular shower faucet model that I wanted which is also sold in HD has or has not a brass valve body.They did indeed confirm that it is the R10000 valve body which of course is brass.Sorry for the confusion.I think what happened is that when I opened the Moen box,the cartridge and body were all together and I saw it was immediately brass.When I opened the Delta box I only saw the cartridge out of the body,and looked no further for the brass body and assumed it was all plastic.Again,sorry and thanks for all the posts.I'll be going with the Delta.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks