(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta VS Moen shower valves

Default Delta VS Moen shower valves

Hi,
    All over the forums and internet the pros recommend Delta #1 in shower valves for ease of repair,finding parts years down the road and durability and Moen #2.When I was in Lowes I opened the most expensive Delta that fit my requirements(chrome,single handle shower only valve) and the valve body was all plastic.I opened the cheapest Moen and the valve body was brass.That would lean my decision towards Moen.Am I missing something?
    P.S. I heard that the Moen Posi-temp is a bitch to repair,if Moen is the better choice should I look for one without Posi-Temp?
    Thanks.

How easily a Moen repairs can depend a lot on the hardness of the water.
    Here I spend a lot of time polishing the metal making it look new.
    But only because the repair is ridiculously easy most of the time.

Default Redwood reply

Thanks for quick post,but I don't understand your answer.What I mean by durability is that it shouldn't start to leak ever.If it does start to leak what I mean about ease of repair is a single cartridge to change and what I mean about finding parts if being able to find that cartridge 10-20 years down the road.Based on that do you recommend Delta or Moen.And if Delta is suppose to be so good why is the valve body all plastic instead of brass?Also what negative experience have you had with Moen Posi-Temp Valves?P.S. Yes I'm in a hard water area.Thanks.

I much prefer the solid brass valves that Moen uses, and repair parts will always be available and straightforward to replace. However Deltas are just as good and most of their tub/shower line is nicer looking that Moen's.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joegambler View Post
    Hi,
    All over the forums and internet the pros recommend Delta #1 in shower valves for ease of repair,finding parts years down the road and durability and Moen #2.When I was in Lowes I opened the most expensive Delta that fit my requirements(chrome,single handle shower only valve) and the valve body was all plastic.I opened the cheapest Moen and the valve body was brass.That would lean my decision towards Moen.Am I missing something?
    P.S. I heard that the Moen Posi-temp is a bitch to repair,if Moen is the better choice should I look for one without Posi-Temp?
    Thanks.
    Delta has just changed there faucets to all plastic because of some more new regulations to protect use from our self. Brass faucets have lead in them. This started in California and will soon be required in most states. Delta is just ahead of Moen. In my opinion Moen was a good faucet at one time but they have maid some changes that I feel have cheapened there line of faucets.

John

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Moen is Junk

moen can be mean to repair, Ihav e been in tears before thinking I was just gonna change out a simple positemp cartridge...basically throwing off my whole day over some stupid crummey cartridge......

Delta is a better choice, they usually wont be a problem to get apart and they usually never bring me to tears...

I will need to take a closer look because I am not aware that Delta has changed the R10000 body to plastic. Kitchen and lav faucets are going to ultra low lead, which will see more plastic. I don't think showers have to be ultra. Have to check on that.

Since California represents over 10% of the US population, our laws often drive national marketing and engineering decisions. But we don't have mosquitos, hurricanes, tornados, or floods. SO COME ON DOWN!!

Blog Entries

Talking that is the rumor

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I will need to take a closer look because I am not aware that Delta has changed the R10000 body to plastic. Kitchen and lav faucets are going to ultra low lead, which will see more plastic. I don't think showers have to be ultra. Have to check on that.

Since California represents over 10% of the US population, our laws often drive national marketing and engineering decisions. But we don't have mosquitos, hurricanes, tornados, or floods. SO COME ON DOWN!!

that is what is in the pipeline for the future of delta
    I think by 2012....its supposed to be completed...

I trust that they will make something that will
    be of the same high quality as their present stuff

Default Delta

Have you ever seen ANYTHING that was converted from brass to plastic and it was BETTER?

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Have you ever seen ANYTHING that was converted from brass to plastic and it was BETTER?

And on top of that, have you seen anything made junkier to meet government specs, and it became LESS expensive????

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Yes, at one time we used DVW copper for waste & vent piping. In most areas it lasted for 15 to 20 years. I think you will agree that PVC plastic is much better.

John

Blog Entries

Talking you might be right

you might be right, I dont know..wait and see

I trust Delta becasue they have never let me down yet, and plastic does seem like a crappy path to go down...

of course they said that back in the 60s when
    pvc pipe came out and the copper industry went
    nuts trying to keep their share of the dwv market ...

I find that with Delta valves I rarely have to use this tool for fine adjustments
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by joegambler View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks.

Show us the picture of this "all plastic" faucet you're speaking of.

I asked this of you on Ridgid's Plumbing forum and never got a response.

I along with others need to see this Delta plastic valve you speak of, because it's unheard of.

It states you're online right now so we'll expect a response, soon.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Blog Entries

Talking are you talking to me Rugged??

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Plumbing View Post
    Show us the picture of this "all plastic" faucet you're speaking of.

I asked this of you on Ridgid's Plumbing forum and never got a response.

I along with others need to see this Delta plastic valve you speak of, because it's unheard of.

It states you're online right now so we'll expect a response, soon.
    I heard about this from my plumbing supplier...
    its all in the research and develoment phase

from what I was told.....