Bathroom faucet stem make from pic

Users who are viewing this thread

divesnob

Reaction score
I have this faucet stem that I need to replace (both hot and cold actually). And the local plumbing experts can source the maker of it.

I was hoping someone on here might.

Thx.

Attachments

• faucet_stem.JPG
    faucet_stem.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 6,080

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Nice pic. Unfortunately, you still have me stumped. The stem is ceramic disc, which means it is not in the "ancient" category. The handles could be a lot of things. The spout looks like an old style, but matches the handles.

I have poured through all the resources I can find. Let's hope one of the REALLY old guys can help us out ( I just went on medicare this week, so I am a youngster on here!). That ought to tic someone off!

divesnob

Reaction score
Wondering if the center stem piece itself can be replaced. I can remove the rubber cap on the end and pull the ceramic section and stem piece all the way out.

I think this work was done in the early '1990s based on when I know previous owners had remodeled the condo and the history of the house as a whole.

Doesn't help either that they caulked the whole assembly into the hole either. Since that label *might* have some interesting info on it... like who made it. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

The center piece may be removable, but since the manufacturers never intended for them to be repaired, just replaced, you will not find any parts to fix it. The unusual thing about that stem is the packing nut. Most ceramic stems use "O" ring seals so there is no need for the packing nut on top. IT makes it very unique so it would be easily identified, IF it were in a catalog of faucet stems. It is not in mine.

Last edited:

divesnob

Reaction score
By the packing nut - you mean the nut furthest to the right in the picture of the stem? That piece is used to hold the "cover" on. It comes off the stem. And the other set of threads just after the nut (to tighten the stem) is useless for me. I just thread it in and it's tightened.

Think I could find something similar that would work?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
packing

The packing "nut" is the thing on the right, but the packing is the material UNDER it keeping the water from leaking around the stem when the faucet is turned on. Very few stems like yours use that type of sealer any more.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Think I could find something similar that would work?

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as SIMILAR in the faucet world. You need exactly what you need.

The large outside threads would typically be used to attach the trim escutcheon. How does your trim attach?

I have a modest amount of exerience, and moderate resources available to research such issues. I have not been able to identify your stem. I am a farm team rookie compared to hj and a few of the others, and they have also "struck out". You will need to keep doing your detective work. Often, a particular brand and model of faucet was commonly used in a certain community, or by a certain builder. Your best resources may be local. Look for neighbors who have similar. Look for an old-time plumbing supply, and approach the oldest, grayest-hair guy in there. He might be the one to say..."hey, that is so and so".

Last edited:

divesnob

Reaction score
To clear up some confusion (perhaps simply on my part) I've recorded a couple of videos of me taking the stem out of the wall and then disassembling the stem itself so that perhaps someone here has a better understanding of exactly what I'm dealing with here.

(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWL_r0wFuk

(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ctrLu5raRE

Regarding the question of questioning neighbors... My condo is a 1880's Victorian in San Francisco and this work was done around the mid-1990's during condo conversion. So not that long ago. I've taken it to local experts and they simply tell me it's an OEM import and that I'll have to find the manufacturer. Herein lies my dilemma. :)

Hope this helps a little more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

The fact that it has both outside threads for one type of escutcheon and a threaded nipple for another, implies that it is a company that uses one stem for a variety of faucet types, which eliminates most of the major brands, since they would have stems with one method or the other depending on which type of escutcheon they are using for the faucet..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks