(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Free Estimates

Hybrid View

Default Free Estimates

I was wondering if Plumbers ever do free estimates?

Today, I am meeting with parents (1/2 hr. away) to determine what instruction best suits their learning disabled child. I will spend maybe 1.5 hours. The only cost is when the chid is actually in a learning setting after the intital visit from me to evaluate.

Now, I don't charge for my time, or gas and most people in my field do not, I am wondering how plumbers determine an estimate, and do you ever do free estimates, and then, it is absorbed into the cost of the service.

Our only pay is when the child is in instruction that is it. And, some parents are still not happy.

It is the same with Real Estate, when I show you a house, it is on my dime.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Since people seem to be perfectly willing to pay a bundle of money to a real estate agent, or in this case, to yourself, going out for estimates may be part off the territory. Probably, the customer is not trying to get 6 low ball estimates on a 1/2 day job. So to answer the question, some plumbers will quote a flat rate on the phone for "X" like replace water heater, replace PRV, install toilet. etc. I get the impression from the posts that most of our guys will not go out to your house to esimtate these types of jobs. Want to remodel a bathroom....that is worth a quote.

Let's here what the others have to say.

Well, RE agents only work on commission, now we can do mileage but, when we ride someone around it is our car, our gas, and our time. So, if after all that work, they don't buy, it was a waste.

With doing special ed kids, it was always this way. I only get paid when I teach, or in some cases, write-up the evaluation, it depends on some factors which won't be understood here.

Just asking about the plumbing industry out of interest.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Since people seem to be perfectly willing to pay a bundle of money to a real estate agent, or in this case, to yourself, going out for estimates may be part off the territory. Probably, the customer is not trying to get 6 low ball estimates on a 1/2 day job. So to answer the question, some plumbers will quote a flat rate on the phone for "X" like replace water heater, replace PRV, install toilet. etc. I get the impression from the posts that most of our guys will not go out to your house to esimtate these types of jobs. Want to remodel a bathroom....that is worth a quote.

Let's here what the others have to say.
    Most of our Quotes are flat rates. But I will go out and give free estimates on jobs I feel I need to see. It's the cost of doing business.

John

Default estimates

For small jobs, I tell the customer that it would take the same time to do the work as it would to estimate it, so either they call me to do the repair, or find someone else. other jobs, it depends on what is involved in making the estimate. If I have to drive halfway across town, I will charge for it.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

It's against my religion, even though I'm heading over to do one right now.

Long time customer, she's used us numerous times and the laundry list of repairs she told us is why I have to see what's in the cards for pricing.

I'm 90% sure I'll get the job, so unless pedro and his white van with 13 of his brothers are going to be doing the whole project for $200, I've got the job.

Si
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Plumbing View Post
    It's against my religion, even though I'm heading over to do one right now.

Then you are a hypocrite........

Pass me some of that chicken....