Removing old pvc drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a glue style shower drain you will have to cut it off. Most hardware and plumbing supply stores have whats called a inside pipe cutter. Put it in your screw gun, insert into pipe and cut away the drain. Once it is removed you can place a coupling and short peice of pipe and its just like new. This can be done it you dont have access bellow the shower.

Babywild

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! This is my first attempt at installing a mortar shower pan, lord know I need all the help I can get.:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those bits are designed to ream out a socket, and your drain probably fits over the pipe, so it probably won't do what you want. Now, if you have an elbow down there, you can ream that out, install a new riser and your drain.

For help in building your shower, check out www.johnbridge.com. If you haven't looked at Kerdi, consider it. Check out www.schluter.com for some videos and info. One nice thing when using this system is you only need a single lift of sloped mortar pan, and you can use drywall for the walls. For more money, if it works for you (the speed is great), they have some preformed pans designed to cover with Kerdi. The membrane is totally waterproof, and drywall is the preferred surface - it never gets wet, so it's fine in this application.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cutter

One thing the RamBit would do is drill the pipe out of the drain so it will come loose. Then he has to decide how to proceed from there. The bit can also be used to "drill down" the pipe to shorten it and give room for a coupling.

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
I was refering to an actual inside pipe cutter not a ram bit or shredder tool. Just a shaft with a wheel and teeth that you rotate around the inside of the pipe until it cuts through.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bit

I know what you were referring to, but sometimes a RamBit does the job better, with a more even cut end. An internal "saw cutter" can be difficult for a beginner to control to make an smooth cut.

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Reed pipe reamer and a Ram-Bit

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

"tu che"? Which translates "You, who", so we need the rest of the statement to know, "We, who are WHAT", such as Puccini's aria from Turando which begins "Tu che di gel sei cinta" (rough translation, "You who are so icy"). Or do you mean "touché" meaning "point well taken"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks