(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PVC Leak in Concrete

Default PVC Leak in Concrete

Mu auto-filler for the pool started showing signs of a leak. I have an equipment pad for all the pool stuff that is about 10 feet away from the pool. Anyhow, I removed the valve and found that the leak is actually coming from a cracked pvc coupling that is just under the surface of the concrete pad. I can even see concrete through the side of the coupling. Either it cracked when the concrete was curing or the coupling was already cracked, etc.

To fix this, I'm assuming I have to break out the concrete to get to replace the coupling.

1. What is the best way to break the concrete out? I'm guessing I only need to go a few inches around it.

2. Is there some magical pvc product I don't know of that would allow me to stick it in the existing pipe and it would expand to give me a pressure resistant fix?

Thanks in advance.

No "magic" cure that you could trust. You can rent a small rotary hammer/drill that will break out the concrete fairly easily. You will have to open a hole wide and deep enough to allow you to cut the broken piece out and leave a pipe end to attach the new coupling. Patch the concrete and you're done.

Default pvc

However, I would not use PVC to repair it, or at least not a PVC male adapter which is probably what you have and why it cracked.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default chances are

the cement finishers stept on the coupling during the pour and broke it!

this water has created a nice large hole under your slab.

rent a walk behind diamond saw. both repairs should be done in a day

I assume that you can look down into the pipe?! That is how you are seeing the crack. Why not cut the pipe about an inch above the slab and then use an inside pvc cutter and cut the pipe just below the coupling and don't forget to put a rag in the pipe. Then glue a new coupling and piece of pipe in and be done with it and go for a swim!! If the small space around the pipe bothers you fill it in with some silicon.

The big problem was that the coupling was 1/8" below the surface of the concrete so there was no way to get down to clean pipe without breaking out the concrete.

Good news is I was able to explain and show the problem to the pool company and they came out and fixed it.

In addition, I never even knew there was an "inside" pvc cutter. Something I'll definately remember for future needs. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.