Prefilter installation location

Users who are viewing this thread

neksiwel356

Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations,

I purchased this prefilter to install at my daughters house. The most logical (and convenient) location is at the well head. It has a cover similar to this .

The only possible downside is freezing but, on the other hand, there are existing white PVC pipes here that have not frozen. She lives in Greensboro,NC.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Here is the prefilter http://images.lowes.com/product/659647/659647911004.jpg

Last edited:

neksiwel356

Reaction score
Some one cobbled in a "whole house" filter after the tank. The first time I checked the filter it was half full of silt/sludge. I was concerned that the pressure tank, being unprotected, might be likewise.

Since it is called a "pre"filter I "assumed" it went before the tank. Unable to Google a definite answer I arrived at this great forum.

Hopefully, this weekend, I am going to try and test integrity of the bladder in the tank. Thanks to this site I believe it will not be difficult to tackle.

I told her before she bought this house it would be a maintenance hog but does anyone listen ? Noooooo......;)

Thanks,
Ken

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Some one cobbled in a "whole house" filter after the tank. The first time I checked the filter it was half full of silt/sludge. I was concerned that the pressure tank, being unprotected, might be likewise.

Since it is called a "pre"filter I "assumed" it went before the tank. Unable to Google a definite answer I arrived at this great forum.

Hopefully, this weekend, I am going to try and test integrity of the bladder in the tank. Thanks to this site I believe it will not be difficult to tackle.

I told her before she bought this house it would be a maintenance hog but does anyone listen ? Noooooo......;)
What you see is a build up of invisible dirt. Pressure tanks, especially captive air bladder types don't need protection from that because they all but empty every pump cycle.

Prefilter is usually applied to a water softener, icemaker, RO etc. but, disposable cartridge filters where never intended to be used as POE (point of entry) whole house filters; they were meant to be used as point of use (POU).

You'll do fine with the pressure tank project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks